Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another, how much will my rear take?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another, how much will my rear take?

I know its been asked before. I searched and read a bunch of posts. My question is a little differant. Basically, I have about 400rwhp and about 390rwtq. I drive the car like once a month, and never go to the track. It is more or less a garage queen.

I picked up a stock rear with a cover and welded tubes with 4.10 that was supposed to have low mileage. Drove it about 40 miles give or take. The tranny needed a rebuild, so I couldnt shift hard in any gear. I finally got it back on the road today and took it for a drive. Driving on back roads where I cant really get going too fast and in second about half way through the gear, I hear a BANG. I broke the pinion gear. I have to assume it was flawed before, but it was cheap. It was slightly more than the cover would have been new.

Can I successfully rebuild it? If so how much? Where do I get parts? and what parts do I need?? I dont plan on racing, just the occasional hard run on the street.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody?? I figured someone would have some suggestions on making the 10 bolt hold up to my limited driving.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running any kind of drag radial or anything. also wondering if you an any suspension work done. the 10 bolt will last if you not dead hooking it and stuff. mine has lasted for a while but I get zero traction in 1st/2nd
Old 01-28-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am running Nitto DRs and I have adjustable tubular relocated torque arm, tubular panhard, tubular LCAs, Vogtland springs, KYB non adjustables, SFCs, DSL and 3.42s. I never dead launch. If anything, I launch easy and then once rolling I romp on it and usually it blows the tires off. I very rarely hit gears hard, because when I do it blows the tires off.

I drive the car very seldom. Mostly to car shows and I have never been to a track with it. Maybe driven 2000 to 3000 miles a year if that.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 10 bolts with 3.42's a girdle has been taking 600rwhp with mt et streets and about 35-40 track passes. I just don't get much traction