Sponsored by:

Autotap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autotap?

hello,

I noticed an Autotap system with EFI Live software for sale on ebay. I wrote the guy and asked how complete the Efi Live software was. He replied that it was a complete Pro version.

Is the Autotap system with Efi Live a decent way to tune a '99 Trans Am?

I'm pretty confident that I will be fine adjusting the parameters. I have a wideband and a Predator and understand what the goals are and know I can learn it.

Deciding what system to use sucks. Any suggestions???
Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not for tuning with the autotap cable its just to scan if its the one im thinking about. I have both efi live and autotap. for that older cable you would have to upgrade probably be better off buying the new efi live stuff

Last edited by roughneck427; 01-24-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply. I understand that Autotap is primarily a diagnostic tool but the system I am referring to includes, or claims to include, EFI Live Pro. I have searched all over and have found only minimal information about the Autotap/EFI Live product. It exists but is difficult to find much about it.

If anyone has any info, please post up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Autotap-AT1-w-EF...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two things that bother me about that auction, I looked at it, when you first started the thread. it doesn't say anything about licenses to tune your vehicle, I pretty sure EFI live comes with 2 licenses and I thought all the never version of EFI live used the USB port, his auction says requires serial port. I don't think he's selling what he tries to appear to be selling. I think he's selling a scanning package, not a tuning one
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The AutoTap cable does not allow flashing...

Back then EFILive Pro V5 was scantool software with bidirectional controls... no tuning/editing.

To tune your 99 TA you would get the EFILive FlashScan V1 "Scan and Tune" interface:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...d=12&Itemid=56
Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by poconojoe
The two things that bother me about that auction, I looked at it, when you first started the thread. it doesn't say anything about licenses to tune your vehicle, I pretty sure EFI live comes with 2 licenses and I thought all the never version of EFI live used the USB port, his auction says requires serial port. I don't think he's selling what he tries to appear to be selling. I think he's selling a scanning package, not a tuning one
Thanks. That is kinda what I am thinkink. I did send him a message asking whether it would work to tune a 99 T/A. He did reply by saying that it is the full version of EFI Live and will work on LS1 and LS6's.

I sent him another message with a few more specific questions about the setup so when I hear from him, I will let you know.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
The AutoTap cable does not allow flashing
The AutoTap cable does not read or write the flash in the PCM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, no tuning there. The sellers were very helpful but I thought their listing was a bit misleading.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Up Again!!

Well I did order the Autotap before I really knew what it would do.
So, I called them and was setting up to return the Autotap w/ EFI Live since it was a diagnostic tool rather than a tuning platform.

Interestingly enough, they did not want the Autotap back because they were not going to sell them anymore. And, told me they would credit my account! So now I have a new Auototap...........

Since I have this Autotap, I really need some good guidance.

Question: What tuning suite would be best to use along with Autotap to have good diagnostics and tuning ability?? Also, I do have a wideband.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The two best tuning suites, HP Tuners and EFILive both come with scanner/data loggers better than Autotap. Those are really the only suites worth buying now. If you are going to buy one of those you should sell the Autotap.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, your best move would be to sell the Autotap in the non-LSx sales section. Depending on what you got, you could get some coin out of it. What I am referring to are the Enhanced Parameters. They are required for LT1 tuning, because the HPT and EFIL refuse to make a version for us lonely orphans.