General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark Plug Change Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark Plug Change Question!

Ok, I changed my plugs and wires for the first time ever today... did away with the bosch iridum plugs the last owner had for MSD wires and NGK TR55s. I've read a few writeups prior to tackling this, and everthing was pretty straightforward, the plugs themselves weren't bad at all, even #6 and #8; moving the coil pack helped a lot. HOWEVER, it became a chore and a half just seating the wire back on plug #8!! I easily spent more than twice the total amount of time it took to do all the other plugs, and still not sure what the best way to do it is... it took me a few minutes to snap the boot on the tip of the plug, but took forever trying to get the other end snapped on the coilpack, even tried moving the coil pack up and down, getting in all sorts of positions around the engine bay (including siting/lying on top of it). How the hell do you guys do it?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think there is any real secret to doing this. Maybe you need to go to the gym? I didn't think it was that hard to do.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99345hp
i dont think there is any real secret to doing this. Maybe you need to go to the gym? I didn't think it was that hard to do.
How were you able to reach back there? I could barely get two fingers to grip it, whether the coilpack was tightened down or moved. Then again, I do have stubby arms... somewhat from hitting the weights lol
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's absolutely nothing hard about snapping both of those on, takes 2 seconds every time I've done it and I never remove coil packs. Don't know why it was so hard for you.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamxbam
How were you able to reach back there? I could barely get two fingers to grip it, whether the coilpack was tightened down or moved. Then again, I do have stubby arms... somewhat from hitting the weights lol
The way I do those back two plugs, including snapping the wires onto the plugs and coil packs when I'm ready.....I lay across the lid and reach my left arm/hand right down along the top of the exhaust pipes, and do it with my left hand.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Hm yeah it does sound easier when reading it... but that's exactly what I tried too, and either way it was much harder than the removal and installation of the plugs themselves. Maybe you guys just have long lanky arms? One more thing, do you put the bottom boot on first or the top?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Hm yeah it does sound easier when reading it... but that's exactly what I tried too, and either way it was much harder than the removal and installation of the plugs themselves. Maybe you guys just have long lanky arms? One more thing, do you put the bottom boot on first or the top?
What I actually do is ONLY pull the the wire off the spark plug and leave it hang off the coil. But usually that back #8 plug is such a bitch, I just yank it by the wire, if it breaks it breaks, I just repalce it. But when I have had to take those two back ones off, I put it on the coil first, then the plug.

And I have 17" pythons
Old 01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Anyone else? Not that anything is wrong right now, I was able to get it connected with some luck and trial/error, but just asking for future reference. Do you guys get the #8 plug wire seated with coilpack moved or in place? And do you put the boot on first or the end that connects to the coilpack?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

put a whole bunch of dielectric grease on both ends of the wire.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the dielectric grease. Big help on install AND removal.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dutinsss
put a whole bunch of dielectric grease on both ends of the wire.
Hmm, that's a good idea, wonder why I never thought of doing that before.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you don't have a midget in you're tool case? that's how i get to those damn rear plugs.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just tackled the job yesterday. I was able to do the DS in about 20-30min, but the PS...holy ****. I started out with the #8 plug thinking i rather get the haard one out of the way firs. i was suprised how easy it was to get the sparkplug socket/wrech back there, but it took me a while to break that bitch loose. after 30 min of effort on that plug, i got a pipe, slipped it over the wrech and i was back in business. i had to break loose 2 other plus on the PS with that method too.

overall, it was easier than i thought. next time around i should have the whole job completed in an hour or so
Old 01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

i jack my car up to get to #8 and get it from underneat hell lot easier
Old 01-31-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Underneath is easier for #8. I am fortunate enough to be a pretty skinny fellow and do it with everything in place. Having Longtubes makes the job about 10 times easier along with the AC ripped out like on my 99. I am about to do plugs on my WS6 and am dreading it. Another way I find easy is to reach across the engine bay to get to the plug. That and removing the entire coilpack rack on top of it.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Launching!

I used a good bit of dielectric grease on the wires... maybe I should have even used more? Getting the #8 plug itself wasn't all that bad really from the top. There's no way I could have reached anything from the bottom though, my headers are in positioned in a way that I can't even put my hand up there. Like I said, when putting everything back together, it was the #8 WIRE I had trouble seating perfectly, which I wasn't expecting since nobody else seems to whine about that as much as the #8 plug itself.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did my #8 plug and wire from underneath the car. I couldn't even reach it from up top, so luckily I was able to do the whole thing (remove and replace plug and wire) from underneath. I thought it was pretty easy, actually.

I have pretty skinny arms though, so that made it easir. One of the few times I was glad to have them, actually.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Underneath, huh? You didn't have to remove anything to get to it? The exhaust wasn't blocking the way? The exhaust blocks #8 on my '97Z so I just assumed it'd be the same with my '99 T/A. It sucked getting to it from the top...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Underneath, huh? You didn't have to remove anything to get to it? The exhaust wasn't blocking the way? The exhaust blocks #8 on my '97Z so I just assumed it'd be the same with my '99 T/A. It sucked getting to it from the top...

Nope, I didn't have to remove anything at all. I had the car on ramps, and was able to get my arm right up along side the cat, and replaced the plug and wire from that postition. MUCH, MUCH easier than I had anticipated.

Like I said though, I have skinny arms. If you're a bigger guy with popeye forearms, you can probably forget about going that route.

Oh, and I have stock exhaust, btw.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's good to know for next time, then. I'm 5'4" and 158#, I seriously don't see how anyone bigger than I am is supposed to work on these damn things without pulling their goddamn hair out...