Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main cap bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Main cap bolts

In the process of having block redone and it was mentioned by shop that the main cap bolts need to be replaced as part of the rebuild (just a basic build not going big or nos). I've not seen or heard that before, wanted some direction from someone who knows more about that (the head and maybe rod bolts are the ones I know about).
Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe he broke one of the bolts when he was torquing down the main caps. i would get arp main studs since the bock is apart already. and ditch the stock pistons.

who is doing the rebuild for you ?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh... I would just do it. There's about a million pages of debate on this topic here on the boards (I know b/c I read about all of them when I was building my motor last year). The common answer was you should just replace the side bolts... the ones that enter through the side of the block horizontally.

You do torque the main cap bolts-both inner and outer- and then turn them another x-amount of degrees but they are not technically a TTY bolt IIRC. So long story short you SHOULD be okay re-using them.

However, I DID replace all of the bolts. I figure hell, you're in there anyways, you might as well do it just for peace of mind. It's not really costly at all to swap out the bolts and you'll probably sleep better at night just knowing it's taken care of... I know I did.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is absolutely no need to replace the main bolts unless you want to upgrade to ARP bolts or studs. If you do upgrade then you'll need to line hone the block. The factory main bolts are reusable, even the side bolts. The only reason the GM manual states the side bolts need replaced is because they come from the factory with sealant on them. Put some RTV under the heads and torque them down.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just buy some new gm bolts if you are doing a simple budget build.