General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Cooler Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Cooler Change

If anybody has some good advice I would really appreciate it. I had my coolant flushed recently in my 99 WS6, and it was fine for about 3000 miles. After awhile, the low coolant light turned on, so I parked the car and let it sit. After it was cool, I checked the coolant, and noticed that it was not low, but it had a brown tint. I checked the motor oil and there is definately no coolant in the oil. I have narrowed the problem down to the power steering cooler. I am 100% sure that this is the problem because the steering fluid has an orange tint. I got a new power steering fluid cooler from the dealer, and I plan on replacing it after the weather gets a bit warmer. I have a few questions:

1) Will I be able to flush the system well with a garden hose?
2) What is the best way to make sure that there are no air pockets in the system after refilling the coolant in these cars?
3) Does anyone have a good procedure for flushing the power steering system?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You could just have a bad coolant level sensor, old coolant, and old PS fluid.

I had a bad PS cooler and the dipstick had a very distinct alient slime on it (from the PS fluid) that wouldn't come off. I've read about Dexcool gumming up and turning dark but not of it leaving the same slime on the dipstick. The other indicator was that my PS fluid level fell constantly as the higher pressure PS fluid went over to the coolant system. (My PS fluid went to the coolant but it never came the other way.)

It took two power flushes at the dealership to get all of the slime out and over the past 60K, everything has been fine. (It got things really clean.)
Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to check for PS cooler leak:

go to autozone and get a free loaner cooling system pressure tester.
pressurize the cooling system.
look for air bubbles in the PS resevoir.

if you see bubbles you have a bad PS cooler.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to consider just plugging the ports on the stock cooler and running the lines to a small aftermarket air cooler. It will work much better, and there would be no chance of contamination.