General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a ta headlight question i havent read.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a ta headlight question i havent read.

so last week i go to turn off my headlights and the passenger side doesnt go down, no squeak/grind nothing. i got out the car walked around jiggled the headlight and tried the switch and it worked. later in the night i turned off the lights and this time the driver side won't go down and it grinds(i know its the gear and im going to temp fix it soon) now all week the lights work flawlessly up down no problems, get to work this morning and again passenger headlight doesnt go up or down and no grinding has anyone ever heard of both headlight motors screwing up at the same time? how would i go about checking my passenger motor to see if its beat or not?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
so last week i go to turn off my headlights and the passenger side doesnt go down, no squeak/grind nothing. i got out the car walked around jiggled the headlight and tried the switch and it worked. later in the night i turned off the lights and this time the driver side won't go down and it grinds(i know its the gear and im going to temp fix it soon) now all week the lights work flawlessly up down no problems, get to work this morning and again passenger headlight doesnt go up or down and no grinding has anyone ever heard of both headlight motors screwing up at the same time? how would i go about checking my passenger motor to see if its beat or not?
You're NOT having problems with both headlights...you really only have a problem with the one that's grinding. Its making the good light act up.

Fix the grinding one and you'll be back to normal.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
You're NOT having problems with both headlights...you really only have a problem with the one that's grinding. Its making the good light act up.

Fix the grinding one and you'll be back to normal.

Can you please explain this to me? and will doing the temp fix it for now?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

ohh and now i get out of work hit the lights on/off and they go down flawlessly lol its not consistant at all.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

ohh and now i get out of work hit the lights on/off and they go down flawlessly lol its not consistant at all.
THe light thats grinding is the one causing the trouble for both. If it goes past its position while either winding up or down, because the gear inside is stripped, it causes all kinds of electrical issues. You are getting just a couple of the wierd things it causes, there's alot of other strange happenings that people get when one gear starts to strip.

Do the fix.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

THe light thats grinding is the one causing the trouble for both. If it goes past its position while either winding up or down, because the gear inside is stripped, it causes all kinds of electrical issues. You are getting just a couple of the wierd things it causes, there's alot of other strange happenings that people get when one gear starts to strip.

Do the fix.
+1..

My brothers car, every time he locked it, it would go up and down a couple times while grinding and making a horrible noise.. fixed one, and they were both back to normal..
Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

i planned on fixing it maybe tonight probably tomorrow lol i had no idea that the stripped gear could cause so many problems.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

i planned on fixing it maybe tonight probably tomorrow lol i had no idea that the stripped gear could cause so many problems.
Yeah, fix it soon because after awhile it can even loosen your t-tops and they could fly off.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, fix it soon because after awhile it can even loosen your t-tops and they could fly off.
really haha that would be some crazy ****. "yea my headlight motor went and it pissed the car off so bad it just decided to loosen and toss its tops" lol
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really haha that would be some crazy ****. "yea my headlight motor went and it pissed the car off so bad it just decided to loosen and toss its tops" lol
it pisses me off enough i have had random thoughts of trashing my ttops... mine has been this way for about 6 months.. im too lazy to **** with it...
Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i thought i was gonna mess with it today but seeing as how i got home at like 5 this morn and woke up like an hour ago and still haven't showered....nah **** that they still work most of the time lol. tomorrow is another tattoo so negative than too and i'm sure ill find an excuse for the rest of the week lol.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm sure ill find an excuse for the rest of the week lol.
i have been doing this for 6 months..