LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cutout questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutout questions

so i just ordered a 3 inch electric exhaust cut out and im having a shop weld it in place soon...i want to be able to tell the guy when i get there where i want it mounted...i have heard the best place is right before the rear axel is this true? and im just curious if anybody has any pics of how and where they routed the wires so that i can mount the switch near the cig lighter...thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where mine is going. I should have some pics here soon. What brand did you go with?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Launching!

mine is mounted right before the rear, a little behind the rear seats there is a rubber stopper underneath the rear seat, so i drilled a whole in the rubber piece and ran the wire up through that then ran it up by the center console, the switch is about where my right knee is if you want i can show you some pics of the cutout and the switch

Last edited by Chrisd000111; 02-01-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
That's where mine is going. I should have some pics here soon. What brand did you go with?
well i bought a QTP electric cutout from WS6 Store i also got my CAI intake there...they had a good price on it so thats why i went with it...i would have much rather gone with a DMH cutout but w/e
Old 02-01-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
mine is mounted right before the rear, a little behind the rear seats there is a rubber stopper underneath the rear seat, so i drilled a whole in the rubber piece and ran the wire up through that then ran it up by the center console, the switch is about where my right knee is if you want i can show you some pics of the cutout and the switch
Yea pics would be great...i just want to do it right the first time...you kno measure twice cut once...so pics of an install would be great thanks alot
Old 02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Launching!

i dont have pics of me actually putting it in but i can show you how i set it up ill try to take pics tommorow
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Yup right before the axle is the best place. fits in there pretty nice. I routed my wire through the rubber plug infront of the rear passenger seat under the carpet through the center console into my fuse box. I have the switch located inside of the ashtray, fits in there perfect you just have to drill a hole in the ashtray and the toggle switch will mount in there perfectly.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1-Camo
well i bought a QTP electric cutout from WS6 Store i also got my CAI intake there...they had a good price on it so thats why i went with it...i would have much rather gone with a DMH cutout but w/e
From what I saw there wasn't much of a difference in price between the DMH and QTP. I put a thread up not too long ago about the two and it seems like a lot of people are having trouble w/ the QTP. A lot of motor failures.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
From what I saw there wasn't much of a difference in price between the DMH and QTP. I put a thread up not too long ago about the two and it seems like a lot of people are having trouble w/ the QTP. A lot of motor failures.
i have heard the same thing...i heard it was from over use like constantly opening and closing the valve to the point of it breaking which is bullshit on QTP's part...but the reason i went with the QTP is i was buying my intake and cutout at the same time from ws6 store and there was just one flat rate for shipping...so if i bought my intake from there i would still pay the same shipping and then i would have to purchase the DMH and then pay their shipping cost...it would have been more money down the line...and im kind of on a college kids budget if you kno wut i mean haha these are my first mods i had a little extra cash and have been waiting to start modding so now im waiting for them to come in the mail
Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
i dont have pics of me actually putting it in but i can show you how i set it up ill try to take pics tommorow
thanks alot man ill be looking for pics tom.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Teching In

thts a good spot for it, i dont have a electric one so i put it there so i didnt have to jack up my car everytime i wanted to take it off, how much did u pay for your cut out?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i do not believe the electric cut out will fail from use it is usually do to neglect and being hit by road debris
cut out location pic,click and scroll down
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ck-exaust.html
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had my qtp e-cutout for two years now, I open and close it countless times a week, Just make sure you do the 5 second count when you open and close it, so you dont damage the electric motor.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fossilboy223
thts a good spot for it, i dont have a electric one so i put it there so i didnt have to jack up my car everytime i wanted to take it off, how much did u pay for your cut out?
its $187 at ws6 store pretty good price from what i have seen...most other places sold them for $200+ with something like a cutout i didnt really want to buy one used on ebay or w/e cuz i dont know how the previous owner treated it or if the damn thing is actually broken...u get the idea haha...i went with ws6 store and their price wasnt bad and i have dealt with them b4 and their very quick with shipping
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by airfix
Ive had my qtp e-cutout for two years now, I open and close it countless times a week, Just make sure you do the 5 second count when you open and close it, so you dont damage the electric motor.
good to hear...thanks for the heads up ill be sure not to over rev the electric motor...how is the seal when the valve is closed? it closes tight?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Mines been good so far seals nice and tight, Once you have it on there man you'll love it. Out of everything I've done to my car this is by FAR my favorite mod.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Mines been good so far seals nice and tight, Once you have it on there man you'll love it. Out of everything I've done to my car this is by FAR my favorite mod.
awsome! im so siked to get this thing installed now!all my friends have been tellin me "dude you need to do something with this exhaust...its so quiet" and i kept putting it off...so once its welded in and wired up im not even gonna tell them...ill just pull up and blow them away lol
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

lol thats exactially what I did, but i had full exhaust on the car already. the hard part is gonna be not telling anyone bcz ur so stoked on it. Drive next to ur buddies with it closed and then not knowing you have it yet then open it drop it a gear and give them the finger as you haul away.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

lol thats exactially what I did, but i had full exhaust on the car already. the hard part is gonna be not telling anyone bcz ur so stoked on it. Drive next to ur buddies with it closed and then not knowing you have it yet then open it drop it a gear and give them the finger as you haul away.
reading your sig you have the exact set up i want to start working on once spring rolls around...PS longtubes..PS ORY..i went with a Moroso intake instead same ****..bilsteins/prokit..magnaflow cat back...how do you like the stance of ur car after the shocks and springs...cuz i wanted to go with the Bilsteins or the KYB adj. AGX with the pro kit...i cant decide on shocks
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

I like the stance, rides pretty good, the handleing of the car improved alot with just the springs and shocks. Heres a link to a few pic's of my car so you get the idea.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...cs-my-94z.html