General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead battery

Car has been sitting for months and the battery is totally dead. How long do I need to drive this thing around after jumping it before the battery will have enough juice to start itself?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it hasn't been sitting dead for more than 1-2 months and it will take a charge, probably 4 hours minimum of engine run time before it charges enough to hold enough of a charge to start the car the next day. but the battery will still be severely weakened and probably not have enough power to start the car if it sits a week.
Best thing to do is get the car to wherever you need to, pull the battery and charge it inside with a trickle charger at least for 12 hours to get it back near 100%. Then test it, find out if it'll hold a charge or if you need a new battery.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bradl1982
Car has been sitting for months and the battery is totally dead. How long do I need to drive this thing around after jumping it before the battery will have enough juice to start itself?
There's a wrong way and right way.

Right way, take it out and charge it overnight.
Wrong way works, but like "1 FMF" said, it'll take a long time driving it around if its totally dead, all the while you're straining the **** out of your alternator and you could damage it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a trickle charger, so you don't have this problem again.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
if it hasn't been sitting dead for more than 1-2 months and it will take a charge, probably 4 hours minimum of engine run time before it charges enough to hold enough of a charge to start the car the next day. but the battery will still be severely weakened and probably not have enough power to start the car if it sits a week.
Best thing to do is get the car to wherever you need to, pull the battery and charge it inside with a trickle charger at least for 12 hours to get it back near 100%. Then test it, find out if it'll hold a charge or if you need a new battery.
Damn, that sucks. I was hoping for an answer like 20 minutes. I wish Germany had an Auto Zone at every corner like the states. I hate this place. Thanks for the help, I'll pull the battery and find somewhere that will charge it.