General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil change??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change??

Ok guys its not lsx based but i want to change my oil in my '00 cavalier. I am hearing that i need some weird 32mm special wrench for the oil filter? can i just get away with an adjustable wrench? Also, where the hell is the oil filter located and same with the oil drain plug?

Thanks in advanced i have done my ta and its a piece of cake just unsure about these few things.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

We have an 01. If it's the same as ours the filter is located on the rear passenger side of the motor. You have to get at it from the top. It's about the strangest place I've seen for a filter. You dont need a wrench for it just small hands. (which I don't have) There is a drain underneath the filter. So make sure your oil pan is positioned correctly, or you'll have a mess to clean up. The oil drain plug is on the oil pan. I think it's a 13 or 15 mm.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

If it has an ecotec motor which it might then yes you will need a 32 or 33mil socket if I remember right and it is located in the drivers side on the front of the motor, also the plug out first and then the oil filter and then the oil plug back in, filters that are face up let more oil drain out after you take them off, and it wont be a standard filter it will be a cartridge replacement. If it has the older motor in it the oil filter should be on the passenger side sometimes it is easier to loosen the filter from up top (depending on if the computer is in the way, different years have different spots for the computer) and then just drop the oil filter, thread the new one on from under the car and tighten it from the top. space is pretty restriced if there is a computer in the way youll have to do it from the bottom and it can be pretty tough to get to.

Bob