LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Few cylinder head questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few cylinder head questions

I pulled my passenger side head to get a broken exhaust manifold bolt machined. Now that i am about to put the head back on i have a few questions....

1)How do I clean the head safely to remove metal shavings from the machince shop?
2)Do i have to set the valve lashing? what exactly is that? i only pulled the head bolts and rr bolts off, didnt mess with the springs or anything else
3)Do i have to get a new head gasket?

btw i didnt notice coolant in cylinder 8when i pulled the head, but now there is a very small amount in it, should i be worried? car ran great before i started tearing down. also alot of coolant came out from the bolt holes when pulling the head, maybe its from that?
thanks guys for your help!

here is a pic
Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Those pistons look pretty good actually. I would just get some simple green and use a rag to wipe down the cylinders and piston heads. Maybe wipe a WD40 soaked rag on the cylinder walls afterwards.
You MUST use a new head gasket.
You MUST set the valve lash - http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
You forgot step one...draining the block before you pulled the head. That's why you got coolant everywhere. I would change your oil, other than that, you should be fine.
Good luck with the rest.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Those pistons look pretty good actually. I would just get some simple green and use a rag to wipe down the cylinders and piston heads. Maybe wipe a WD40 soaked rag on the cylinder walls afterwards.
You MUST use a new head gasket.
You MUST set the valve lash - http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
You forgot step one...draining the block before you pulled the head. That's why you got coolant everywhere. I would change your oil, other than that, you should be fine.
Good luck with the rest.

I agree with this guy Mike.
A WD-40 rag will be great, and make sure to get all the coolant out of there. Coolant doesn't compress.
New gasket is a must.
Change you're oil, because you don't want milky oil running through your motor. Your cam will thank you.
Valve lashing is pretty tough, and if worse comes to worse, I can hook you up with someone to do it for you. Tom, Dave, etc.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

thanks fellers I appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

also to clean up the head go get a sanding block and about 500 gritt sandpaper and sand in a even circular motion! You don't have to get it perfect, but get the majority of the gasket material off!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you clean up the gasket surface, have a shop-vac handy. All the dust and debris you clean off you don't want falling into the oil and coolant passages. TRUST me and get a shop-vac!

Quick Reply: Few cylinder head questions