General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car died...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car died...

I know its not an lsx but I figured someone here may have the same car and might have gone through this.

Car is a 1997 Chevy lumina. I was driving like normal.. and I felt a few stumbles and didnt think much of it because it just went away. Then later in the day I felt it stumble again.. but it did the same and went away. It almost felt as if it was running out of gas. It was very short lived stumbles.. then back to normal. It did that two maybe 3 times.. intermitantly (sp). I was then driving home on the highway and it started doing it perminately then just died.

I turn the car on I can hear the fuel pump prime. I havnt tested the fp.. my friend has my gauge. The car has 230k miles on it.. If i go to try and start the car it turns over great.. for the first few seconds nothing happens then it starts to kinda stumble a little like its trying to start but doesnt fire. Seems like its not getting very much fuel. I dont think it has anything to do with spark.. Any ideas?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What motor?
Does it do it when it is stone cold?
Was it throwing any codes?
Get your pressure gauge back from your friend at test it.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 AM
Launching!

It is a 3.1 litre

It does it anytime.

There is some codes but I dont think they were pinpointing it.. A couple missfires and an emissions control code i think. I have had check engine lights for a long time.. never even bothered to check. So I have no idea how old they even are or if it threw a code..recently for this.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

1. Check your fuel filter
2. My bet is that it is your fuel pump. I had this exact same problem on 3 different GM vehicles where the car would start to sputter and a few days/weeks later wouldn't start. I figured it was the fuel pump to begin with but since I heard it prime I ruled it out pretty quick. That was a mistake! just because it primes doesn't mean its not the pump. I actually went through all the trouble of removing it from the tank on a sunfire b/c i didn't hear it prime while it was in the tank...just to have it work fine when it was out of the tank. So then, I put the stock unit back in the tank, filled it up again and it wouldnt work once installed!! I finally just replaced it and that did the trick! that was a bad bad day.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Launching!

The fuel pump for this car is 300 dollars! WHY ME!?

I hope its the fuel filter.. but really whats to check? lol I still havnt put the fuel pressure gauge on it yet. I will replace the fuel filter and pray its that simple. I am with you though im 99% sure its the pump.. even though it primes.