General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

snapped header bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snapped header bolts...

So, I was bored the other day and just started looking over my car to make sure everything was holding up fine. Cleaned the air filter, tightened a few bolts, etc. When I notice a bolt, I can't remember exactely where, but down towards the bottom of the engine bay on some edge.

To shorten the story i end up noticing I have two header bolts that have snapped off on my drivers side??? They snapped off down in so I can't just get some vicegrips on them. What im surprised is that there's no exhaust leak, or not a noticeable one that is. I've stopped driving it since I don't want to do any damage, if possible, and now i just have to decide how to fix it.

When I've searched it I've heard of people getting an easy out down there but one of the bolts is the one closest to the firewall and I really don't want to take my chances, my luck I'd nick the head. So how much do you think a shop would charge to do it. I drop it off and they do it all and put it back on?

On a side note, I also recently put an LS7 clutch in the car, and I know it's heavier so it'll rev differently, but I feel like it's a different tone all together. It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't sound like it's taking longer to rev, but it produces a different note, mainly noticeable in the 2-3k range. when I changed the clutch I also flushed the fluid and put in some pennzoil dexIII but think I can hear some gear noise now, I plan on changing out to some mobile 1 so hopefully that'll help out.

I know that was long and a lot of questions, just trying to describe well enough to make it clearer for you guys.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Any idea's? I know the clutch problem is probably in my head, the pedal has come up a little(about 500 city miles on it now), not where it was before the change, but a bit off the floor. And it goes into all the gears just as it did before the clutch change so it's probably just in my head.

I checked all the fittings on the exhaust and they all seem to be good. The different exhaust note is just still bothering me.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure - my friend's car did not change after the ls7 clutch. Are you sure the exhaust did not get touched at all?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

you know it really just depends on how easy it is to get to them, after that its all by the hour..prolly look at paying for 2-5 hours its kinda risky being that they are aluminum heads so its hard to say what a shop would do or ask for that to be done. if you unbolted the header on that side would there be enough room to get somthing around the bolt or is it snapped of clean and flush right at the head?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to check the exhaust again. Maybe I'll just take it off again and put it back on carefully.

And the bolts snapped off down in the hole. I had to get a mirror down there to see, at first I thought the bolts had just fallen out... but I wasn't that lucky.