LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel/Oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel/Oil additives

Hey guys my TA has 195,000 miles on it and im wondering what fuel/oil additives you would recommend. I will seafoam it when i get my oil changed. But until then im wondering what to do if anything. Ive heard STP's complete fuel system cleaner is pretty good. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I seafoamed my gas, throttle body and engine today. The difference is amazing. It runs better than when i bought it. I still have half a can left. I will add it to the oil right before i get it changed

Last edited by hitmanws6; 02-13-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are already doing seafoam, there should be no reason you need any more fuel cleaner. Personally, I think most additives are just a way to lighten your wallet.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any product containing "techron" is supposed to be one of the better cleaners, not cheap though.. I'd say run a bottle of that with 1 tank of 93 octane and try to empty it on a highway run....
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea that Chevron with Techron stuff in the black bottles is actually damn good stuff, when my buddy is doing injectors and he doesn't feel the need to use the $15/bottle stuff he uses that. But he runs the car straight off the cleaner with a pressurized tank (via an air line) and turns off the fuel pump and plugging the return line. He doesn't put it in the gas tank and run it through like most of us would
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Yea that Chevron with Techron stuff in the black bottles is actually damn good stuff, when my buddy is doing injectors and he doesn't feel the need to use the $15/bottle stuff he uses that. But he runs the car straight off the cleaner with a pressurized tank (via an air line) and turns off the fuel pump and plugging the return line. He doesn't put it in the gas tank and run it through like most of us would
I've used that stuff. Don't know if it helped or not.
I wonder if that would cause any knocking/detonating issues when running it straight on the techron? That is similar to what professionals do, but I thought that they pull the rail and run it through and don't actually run the engine on it.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well with seafoam you have to change your oil 150 miles after you use it. and i just had it changed a week ago. so it will be a few months before i do it. and i cant run 93 octane because we dont have it where i live

Quick Reply: Fuel/Oil additives