Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 LS1 How much power can be had with bolt ons and what are the best ones??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98 LS1 How much power can be had with bolt ons and what are the best ones??

Just curious here. I did some searches. It seems that the LS6 stuff seems to be the way to go. I just have the factory LS1 with some basic stuff done to it like a lid, K&N panel filter, air box mod, EGR tube mod, descreened MAF, Dynatech Systemaxx header system 1 3/4 headers with high flow cats, y pipe, and a 3 inch Hooker cat back. What is the max power that I could wring out of this thing without changing major stuff like heads, and the camshaft? I'm not opposed to changing the haeds, but I have heard that you need a special jig to change the heads as there are no dowel pins?

Anyway, IF, I were to do the LS6 conversion, I would need the cam/lifters, intake, and what else, the ECM?? Do the LS6 heads flow any better? What would be the drawbacks of still using the factory LS1 heads? Thanks for any info on this.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

you have pretty much all the bolt ons. the ones that you dont have would be the ls6 mani, p&p tb, and a underdrive pulley. with all 3 of those you would be looking at probably another 25 rwhp
Old 02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. That's not too shabby I suppose. I could do that stuff and then get a tune done. Maybe delete the rear O2's, AIR and EGR and run block off plates on my headers. Now, what if I did decide to go the whole LS6 route, and use the LS6 heads/cam/intake combo. Would the LS1 ECM work, or would I need the ECM from the LS6? What kind of power would I be looking at from those? Thanks for any info/suggestions!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO changing for the ls6 cam is a waste of time and money

if you do a cam, do a real cam of some sort even if its small
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
IMO changing for the ls6 cam is a waste of time and money

if you do a cam, do a real cam of some sort even if its small
ls6 cam is a good cam...all depends on what goals you have...