General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help, low water light won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, low water light won't turn off

Well, that basically my probem. I have a 1998 slp ls1 six speed.

My low water light is on and so when I got home I topped off the water and the light won't turn off.

Where is the sensor for this light?

Should I replace this sensor first or something else?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a common issue, the sensor is on the the radiator just below the cap. Just look below it and you will see a wire harness, its plugged into the sensor. I just unhooked mine, I know its serviced and not leaking, plus its a PIA to get to and replace. Just be sure you dont have a leak or busted head gasket causing you to actually be loosing coolant.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Teching In

naw, I havn't lost a drop of water

It won't throw a code?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, you wont get an SES light by unplugging the sensor. Just be sure your not loosing coolant and whenever your doing any major work on the engine go ahead and replace it then. I watch my temp gauge anyways, so if its low then i'll notice it getting hot.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

cool, I'll give it a shot and post up if I need to

thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd suggest you buy an inexpensive insurance policy for your engine and replace the coolant level sensor.

When it comes to death by coolant, there are two issues you can come up against: high temperature and running out of coolant. The temperature sensor will only tell you when your coolant is overheating. (It does not necessarily tell you anything about your engine! Over time, the engine and coolant will equalize, but its the short term effects of low coolant that you need to worry about.) When you are low on coolant, you could do fatal damage to your engine before the steady state temperature rises.

If your coolant level drops, you could introduce air in to the sytem, which can cause cavitation (resulting in impeller damage) in your water pump or produce local hot spots in the engine. Since our engines are aluminum, they are much more sensitive to this kind of thing vs. an iron engine. Alumnimum will melt at a lower temperature than iron and can start to distort at just 350 degrees.