Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen IV LS2 cam in a gen III LSx? (Using Aftermarket EMS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gen IV LS2 cam in a gen III LSx? (Using Aftermarket EMS)

In short, I want the ’01 LS6 vette camshaft for my mild LM7 5.3 conversion in my ’93 300-ZX, it is not an easy to come by camshaft used. Well, the LS2 cam has the same lobe specs/valve timing, so why not try to us it right? LS2 cams are readily available and for cheap. (I'm not going with a new cam as this is just the interim power plant that needs anew cam, #4 intake lifter seized a roller and a 6.0L will be "built" as the replacement, with a custom cam).

I have read that the gen IV LS2 cam wont work in the Gen III engine due to the sensor being in the front vs the rear, ECM wont read the new signal, etc. The senor/signal differences is not an issue as I am utilizing a standalone aftermarket EMS that can interpret any of the GM cam and crank sensors, WOLF 3d V-500, (I tell the WOLF V-500 what signal to look for, rising or trailing etc). The concern is physically getting it in the engine, hopefully with Vette FEAD, or possible F-bod FEAD if the Vette FEAD interferes with the front mount sensor.

Here is the set up;
’01 LM7 5.3 from a Suburban, (on engine stand getting ready to remove the heads and replace the cam).
F-bod T-56, LS6 flywheel clutch, (enroute from HI currently).
Plan to use C5 accessory drive for its shorter over engine length, have an ’01 Vette LS1 short block that I have been using for mock up thus far.

So to get the LS2 cam in the 5.3, Here is what I know I will need, please fill in the blanks that I am missing;
1) Cam.
2) Front cover w/sensor.
3) Timing gear for Gen IV, (apparently 2 different gen IV styles, see pic below).
4) Matching springs, (have a set of yellow LS6 springs currently)
5) Matching pushrods, (have a set of stock 01 C-5 push rods and 7.4” LS6 push rods).
6) ????
7) ????
8) ????
9) ????

With the cam sensor upfront, will the C-5 vette damper clear the sensor and its pigtail?

Gen III and 2 different gen IV cam gears
Courtesy of SA books, "How to rebuild your GM LS-series engines", Chris Werner