Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting alignment next week. NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Getting alignment next week. NEED HELP!!!

I just got the car back on the ground after getting new k-member, upper lower a-arms, tie rod end....etc. I scheduled a 4 wheel alignment next week, and need to know what to tell the guys for specs. I seen on here that a lot of people have different combos on their setup. The car is a head cam car that will be pushing high-mid 10's this year, and street driven with a lot of track time as well. I didn't know if a stock alignment would do or there is some kind of special way I need to tell them how to do it.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You think it'll be running by next week?

BTW, do a search for alignment specs here, thats where I got mine.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine in last week to have an alignment done (new Spohn tubular K).
The shop complained that the elongated holes actually made it more complicated to align.
I was fortunate that the shop owner happened to be an old hotrodder and calmed the alignment guy down LOL

They finished it, but it took about 3 man-hours to reach optimal specs.
Cost me $112 total.

What I am trying to say is; call ahead and make sure they understand what you are bringing to them.
If they have an issue with it ... go somewhere with a reputation for aligning "customized" cars.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by James Montigny
I took mine in last week to have an alignment done (new Spohn tubular K).
The shop complained that the elongated holes actually made it more complicated to align.
I was fortunate that the shop owner happened to be an old hotrodder and calmed the alignment guy down LOL

They finished it, but it took about 3 man-hours to reach optimal specs.
Cost me $112 total.

What I am trying to say is; call ahead and make sure they understand what you are bringing to them.
If they have an issue with it ... go somewhere with a reputation for aligning "customized" cars.

Agreed, call ahead... a lot of shops don't like non stock stuff... some will just charge a little more.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

He is taking it to a good shop, I know the owner. He does tons of performance stuff and knows his ****.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea that shouldnt be a problem at all. And no the car wont be running, not even close. The guy said as long as we can get it on the ramps then it should be fine. I did a few searches on here looking for specs, but nobody specified what there cars were build for, or how they drive them. I dont want to get a ******* gay *** autocross alignment done on my drag car. Would a stock alignment do fine?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Search "alignment specs".
Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

stock alignments get the wheels perfectly straight so you can let go of the wheel and it goes straight, so if your just drag racing the car get the stock alignment done, autocross you want more/less caster/camber. drag alignments are easy on stock style suspension cars.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chvypwr31
stock alignments get the wheels perfectly straight so you can let go of the wheel and it goes straight, so if your just drag racing the car get the stock alignment done, autocross you want more/less caster/camber. drag alignments are easy on stock style suspension cars.
I think im just going to tell them to make sure when the front end of the car is in the air, and the front tires are suspended that they cant have any toe in. Other than that stock looks like it will be fine. It really only needs to be done for the tuner to drive it anyways. Once the car is 100% I may have a "real" alignment done with me in the car. Hopefully I wont need it. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 AM
TECH Regular

yea you dont want that thing coming down from a wheelstand and shooting to one side of the track.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The tires should stay perfectly straight even with no load. Not a whole lot of weight on those tires when your making a pass.

One more question: Does it matter how low I have the front coilovers adjusted to right know? I have them set low(see sig). And they asked me if the car was lowered, I said yes, but didnt know what they meant by asking. I could raise it a few inchs if need be. Should it matter?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Car has to be at running wt, and at desired ride hgt.
I had my GN done w/ me in it, race tires installed, fuel tank full, etc.
We checked the starting alignment, and printed it out.
We then raised the ft end 1", and repeated the above.
We then raised it further, in 1" increments, and repeated the above.
[Video indicated the car went thru the traps w/ the ft end up about 2".]
Final setting was minimum camber, and max caster.
Drove like it was on rails at 141+...
But, it was "only" a v-sicks.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

no it dont matter how low it is, you see a lot of low cars so thats fine
Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

You don't know what you're talking about.

Listen to Chuck (old geezer). And make sure the car never goes TOE OUT Kyle, not toe in. Get all the caster you can. Make sure it stays toe'd in throughout the range of travel and yes, it has to be at running height and weight.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

yes of course i dont know what im talking about seeing as though ive probably done more alignments than you have ever done and you know having a car go straight doesnt matter, and a stock alignment gets the car to go perfectly straight, and i never said oldgeezer was wrong, so why dont get off your damn high horse and dont post up crap if you dont know what your talking about.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

get off your damn high horse and dont post up crap if you dont know what your talking about.

Yea he talks like a *** too.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 AM
8 Second Club

I always check mine all the way thrue the lift of the front and we pull it down with a rachet strap to see what it looks like when it bottoms out . i have never seen anyhing in my car that looked crazy, but leave and get on the bumber it is going to bottom out when it comes down. also i try to set mine up 2 or 3 iches up because that is where your front will be most of the pass. i also on short tracks pull the chute and hit the brakes it will bottom out then ,and i have trapped at 177 so you nedd to to look and then look some more i have been useing a paint pen and marking where the bolts in the slots are so if you have a upset at the track you can jack it up and look and see if anything has moved just gives you a way to check. i always mark it while it is still on the machine just somthing to think a bought.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pmbmax
I always check mine all the way thrue the lift of the front and we pull it down with a rachet strap to see what it looks like when it bottoms out . i have never seen anyhing in my car that looked crazy, but leave and get on the bumber it is going to bottom out when it comes down. also i try to set mine up 2 or 3 iches up because that is where your front will be most of the pass. i also on short tracks pull the chute and hit the brakes it will bottom out then ,and i have trapped at 177 so you nedd to to look and then look some more i have been useing a paint pen and marking where the bolts in the slots are so if you have a upset at the track you can jack it up and look and see if anything has moved just gives you a way to check. i always mark it while it is still on the machine just somthing to think a bought.
So are you recommending that I raise the front about 2-3 inchs when i get the alignment? I dont think i will need a chute anytime soon, but you never know
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

ya i forgot bout that he makes a good point, your gona be squatting in the rear and high in the front the whole run, i dont think that would make a huge difference but ya i would definetly do that have it aligned with the front jacked up a lil.just make sure your toe is dead on.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
So are you recommending that I raise the front about 2-3 inchs when i get the alignment? I dont think i will need a chute anytime soon, but you never know
Sorry for the confusion, but i raise the front up from ride height a couple of inches and that is where i align it. and before i take it off the rack we take it all the way up, do a sweep and all the way down ,do a sweep i pull it down with rachet straps. The reson i went to all this problem is i went to the santhuff spindles and i wainted to see how it changed the geomerty of the front end. The guy that did it says it looks better than stock. He does all of my drag set ups with very good results.

Quick Reply: Getting alignment next week. NEED HELP!!!