General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Best way to clean intake runners

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean intake runners

Pulled my manifold off to clean all the oil out of it from the SH*** PCV system and there is a ton of residue on the intake runners of my heads. Whats the best way to clean this out without getting it all into the heads?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a toilet brush that has a bendable handle. A brush head that barely fits in the runner so its tight. Dip it in a chemical cleaner like Sea Foam and rip that thing in and out of each runner till its smooth. Then hose it clean and let it dry. Thats what I did and it cleaned it like new. I actually put the brush through it with the Sea Foam and let it sit for awhile to soak into the grime. Then I ripped it through using the entire can of Sea Foam.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Get a toilet brush that has a bendable handle. A brush head that barely fits in the runner so its tight. Dip it in a chemical cleaner like Sea Foam and rip that thing in and out of each runner till its smooth. Then hose it clean and let it dry. Thats what I did and it cleaned it like new. I actually put the brush through it with the Sea Foam and let it sit for awhile to soak into the grime. Then I ripped it through using the entire can of Sea Foam.
That would work but my heads are still on the car!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the intake off. Even if its your first time, the removal, cleaning, and installation is only an afternoons work.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me clarify. I took the intake off to clean the oil out of it, so the intake is off the car.
The runners that I am trying to clean are the intake runners on the heads, the heads are still on the car and I am trying to not throw it all the gunk deeper into the heads.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Let me clarify. I took the intake off to clean the oil out of it, so the intake is off the car.
The runners that I am trying to clean are the intake runners on the heads, the heads are still on the car and I am trying to not throw it all the gunk deeper into the heads.
Well, thats totally different. You did say, INTAKE runners originally.

I would get some Deep Creep Sea Foam spray, spray it good and let it soak for a couple hours, keep applying it during those 2 hours. That should loosen up the build-up some. Then just wipe it with a rag. You should take your sprak plugs out and turn the engine over for about 10 seconds when you're done with the intake still off to get any standing Sea Foam fluid out. So you don't hydrolock a piston when you try to start it up.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about all the gunk won't it fall down into the head?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mook99ta
What about all the gunk won't it fall down into the head?
Yes, it will. Thats why you take the spark plugs out and turn the engine over for about 10 seconds, most should spit out ofthe sprak plug holes, let it sit for a few hours and the rest should evaporate. You won't be able to clean the entire runner all the way into and around the valves. But letting it sit and soak with multiple sprayings will do the best job possible without removing the heads to clean them throughly.

Don't turn the engine over till the spark plugs are out. You can damage the internals if theres too much fluid in any of the cylinders. Removing the plugs eliminates that problem, the fluid will come out of the holes.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean intake runners