General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Temp guage not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp guage not working

My engine temperature guage is not working. The fans runs all the time but the guage does not move. I replaced the sending unit on the front of the engine (it's a 3.8L) but that didn't help. I tried grounding the two wires out that go to the sending unit to see if the guage would max out but still no movement. What should the voltage be from these wires? The service engine soon light came on but I don't have a scan tool yet to pull any codes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

i have the same problem, i have 00 ta ls1, i did replace the sending unit also
Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Farburd
My engine temperature guage is not working. The fans runs all the time but the guage does not move. I replaced the sending unit on the front of the engine (it's a 3.8L) but that didn't help. I tried grounding the two wires out that go to the sending unit to see if the guage would max out but still no movement. What should the voltage be from these wires? The service engine soon light came on but I don't have a scan tool yet to pull any codes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sounds like you need a new coolant temp sensor. Don't know much about the 3.8's, but if its like the LS1's, its the brass sensor that screws into one of the heads.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Well I pulled the codes tonight and came up with a P0118 Engine coolant temperature circuit high input and P0128 Coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature. I'm thinking the high input probably came from me grounding out the wires to the sending unit but I really don't know much about these things.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

I just got an 02 LS1 to put into my 98 and the temp sensor in the new motor had dif. wiring and it didnt work so ive been driving without a temp sensor but now the engine doesnt start once its warmed up its the stupidest thing ever
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Update, I cleared the codes tonight with my scan tool and everything is working fine now. For how long I don't know but I'm better off than I was before! Thanks everyone for the replies.