General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to Get to my Foglight Bulb in my 98 TA

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Get to my Foglight Bulb in my 98 TA

Ok...i got a 98 Transam..and my right foglight bulb burned out, and i looked in my owners manual, and it didn't say how to get to it...i know i could get to it but just whats the right way.. I tried reaching my hand in between the front bumper assembly and my windshield washer fluid..and I could feel the wires running to the bulb but couldn't ever get to the bulb..

Anyone who Helps ThankS!!

its really frustrating not knowing how to get to your bulb in your foglights the correct way
Old 07-19-2004, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

under the front of the car, just in front of each tire, the are some flap door access panels. You will need a 10mm socket to unscrew the two bolts that hold this door shut. Once you remove the two bolts, just pull the door down and you can reach up inside and get to the turn signals and the fog lights.

The bulb harnesses twist counterclockwise and pull out. Opposite to re-install.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do not want to remove the panel you can also manually bring up the head light and if you have small hands reach down between the headlight and get to them that away.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

thanks..ill try that tomorrow if it don't work ill get it from underneath...its dark right now..damn i wish i had a shop or a garage atleast

Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
under the front of the car, just in front of each tire, the are some flap door access panels. You will need a 10mm socket to unscrew the two bolts that hold this door shut. Once you remove the two bolts, just pull the door down and you can reach up inside and get to the turn signals and the fog lights.

The bulb harnesses twist counterclockwise and pull out. Opposite to re-install.
Why must I do everything the hard way?
I jacked up the front of the car, removed the three or four clips that hold the front clip to the air dam, pulled it down and had to feel around for the bulb b/c i couldnt see it.

BTW, i replaced mine b/c I wanted to put the 37.5 watt bulbs in. I highly recommend it. They are actually usefull now.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

I just opened the hood and reached my hand down through the little hole by the headlight..it was really easy..thanks...
The following users liked this post:
babyelephant (07-27-2022)
Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6

BTW, i replaced mine b/c I wanted to put the 37.5 watt bulbs in. I highly recommend it. They are actually usefull now.

are these the wattage that will sometimes melt the foglight covers? or was it the 55 watt?

if not, where did you get the 37.5 watt? thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skunk50
are these the wattage that will sometimes melt the foglight covers? or was it the 55 watt?

if not, where did you get the 37.5 watt? thanks.

55's will probably melt them so I got the 37.5's. Had them for months and they are not melted. I got them at autozone, can't remember the part number off the top of my head. might be 895.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
55's will probably melt them so I got the 37.5's. Had them for months and they are not melted. I got them at autozone, can't remember the part number off the top of my head. might be 895.
The OEM bulb size is 880 with a rating of 27 watts and 540 lumens. The 893 bulb has a rating of 37.5 watts and 940 lumens. The 885 bulb has a rating of 50 watts and 1,255 lumens. I don't know if the 893 bulb (or if the 885 bulb) will fit our 1998 - 2002 Firebirds but the bulbs sure do look the same as the 880 bulb...!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

i like the look of the 880's
Old 07-23-2004, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

My owners manual was wrong when I did tha! It said there would be screws
Old 07-23-2004, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
If you do not want to remove the panel you can also manually bring up the head light and if you have small hands reach down between the headlight and get to them that away.
Yeah, thats the best way, but its a tight squeeze to get your hand down there.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
My owners manual was wrong when I did tha! It said there would be screws
Yeah, kinda' scary that the guy writing the manual didn't know the difference in a screw and a bolt!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

anybody try the 50 watt yet?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Cool 880 --> 893

The 893 bulbs look exactly the same as the 880 bulbs except for two small differences: the color of the base of the bulb and the characteristics of the bulb filament. Here are some photos I took while upgrading my OEM 880 bulbs (27 watts / 540 lumens) to 893 bulbs (37.5 watts / 940 lumens). Each picture is actually a hyperlink to a larger version of the same picture - hover your mouse over any of the images and click it to see the larger version.

Changing the fog light bulbs on my Trans Am was slightly more of a pain in the neck than I had expected. I got the driver's side into place from above but the passenger side was more challenging. So for that side I actually removed the three two-piece rivet things, pulled the black flap down, and put/twisted the bulb into place while watching from in front of the car. We can look right through the fog light lens to see what we are doing.

By the way, my 893 bulbs look old because they are old! I had them in my 1996 Saturn SC2 before. For that car the OEM fog light bulb was actually the brighter 893 bulb.

Also, if you look carefully at the ends of the 893 bulbs you can see that I scraped off the painted "cap" that these bulbs had. It makes a small difference and results in a bit more light shining out. Time consuming but worth it in my opinion.

Sorry I don't have images of the differences in the brightness of the bulbs because I've tried taking pictures like that before and they never come out right.

Make sure that your fog lights are aimed correctly after putting in brighter bulbs!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

some reason the passenger side foglamp won't turn to a locking click. barely hanging on. messed with it for 20 mins. and gave up.

i really want to try the 55 watt. i only use the foglights when i don't want to flip up/down the headlights on short trips with many stops (to save the plastic gears). so as bright as possible is better.... how long would it take for the 55w to melt the plastic housing.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Lightbulb

some reason the passenger side foglamp won't turn to a locking click. barely hanging on. messed with it for 20 mins. and gave up.
It took me a while to get the fog light bulbs on my Trans Am into place also. Maybe 15 minutes for the driver's side and about an hour for the passenger's side:
Originally Posted by David 2002 WS6
Changing the fog light bulbs on my Trans Am was slightly more of a pain in the neck than I had expected. I got the driver's side into place from above but the passenger side was more challenging. So for that side I actually removed the three two-piece rivet things, pulled the black flap down, and put/twisted the bulb into place while watching from in front of the car. We can look right through the fog light lens to see what we are doing.
Another thing that might help is to attach the wiring harness to the bulb first, then try to get it into place while you (or a friend) watches through the fog light lens. This way we have more to grab. Except for one circle in the front of the lens about the size of a quarter the rest of the lens is smooth. Oh yeah, try to do all this without touching the glass portion of the bulbs!

i really want to try the 55 watt. i only use the foglights when i don't want to flip up/down the headlights on short trips with many stops (to save the plastic gears). so as bright as possible is better.... how long would it take for the 55w to melt the plastic housing.
My guess is that we can use the 55 watt bulb (size 885) and we'd be okay while our car is moving and air is rushing around the fog light assembly, but the heat might build up while our car is stopped. So if we decide to use the brighter - and hotter - 885 bulbs we might want to turn the fog lights off when we stop like for red lights and then turn them on again when we start moving again.

If you really want better fog/driving lights for the Firebird and/or TransAm, I'd suggest looking into aftermarket lights with the same dimensions so they will have a perfect fit. For starters, I'd check with Ken at Susquehanna Motorsports for advice. He has a great supply of high quality lights and horns and stuff, his prices are decent, and his shipping fees are reasonable. He is also very knowledgeable.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice