LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 clutch options

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 clutch options

Well looks like it might be new clutch time. I posted pictures here: My thread of trans. woes.

Pics are towards the bottom. Car is putting down 353rwhp/351tq, and I plan on spraying a 150 shot on top of that. What clutches will deal with these power levels?

How many times can I have a flywheel resurfaced? I've got a billet steel SLP, its been resurfaced once so far.

Kinda sucks, I only had 6k miles on this clutch.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its pricey but i really like my street twin. stock pedal and holds like no other. if you break it down the price really isnt that bad either. you get a new flywheel, friction discs, pressure plate, t.o.b. and an adjustable master.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

i used the Ram clutches for a mild mod lt1 and switched to the Spec stage 2 clutch. The Spec grabs very well but it chatters like hell and a dead stop. I have about 5k miles on it and it seems to be settling down or i am just getting used to riding the clutch, spin a little bit or hook so it won't shake the car. It really a huge difference. I will end up getting a centerforce or something that can grab and retain more streetable drivablity. Is there a way to get rid of the pull style setup? Ls1's clutches are cheaper. I heard street twins were good too.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Spec Stage 3 and the Spec Billet flywheel in preparation for 500 RWHP.

LOVE the feel and it GRABS! Drives exceptionally well on the street.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

just go get you a custom disk made it would be alot cheaper thats what i did hold great to a 175 shot and sticky tires
Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Well that's the thing, this was a custom built deal by a highly recommended clutch builder in the Tampa area.

It holds good, but people who looked at my picture tell me hot spots have developed.

They modified the Hays pressure plate I gave them and installed a new friction surface, resurfaced my slp flywheel, and a six puck Competition Clutch clutch disk.

I might email them and see why it looks the way it looks with only 6k miles on it. Maybe its something I did, I broke it in properly and don't keep my foot on the clutch pedal while driving around, beats me.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm kind of looking at the spec 3+, anyone have any issues with them? I wish I could do a twin disc, that is just way out of the budget. Hell the street twin is at what these days? $1500??
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

I had probs with my Spec Stage 3 in my Hawk (400 rwhp/395Tq) . Took it apart and the 3 of the springs in the clutch disc had cracked. The plate that holds the springs in place broke at one of the rivets as well.
I have a stage 4 Spec with an unspring hub in my car now, but the next clutch will most likely be a street twin.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I'm kind of looking at the spec 3+, anyone have any issues with them? I wish I could do a twin disc, that is just way out of the budget. Hell the street twin is at what these days? $1500??
I got a street twin for sale for $600 and it only has 5k miles on it with a lot of clutch material left. I dont have the mcleod master though but you can just modify the stocker to be adjustable..and from what ive been told its better than the mcleod master
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you not like the street twin or something? I haven't done much research on a twin disc, will I have to modify the master then, I take it running the dual disc takes some adjustment then?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm pretty sure my car could use a new clutch. I can't help but think I want the McLeod clutch, and my car is pretty much stock. It sure seems expensive, but maybe you would never need another clutch.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Did you not like the street twin or something? I haven't done much research on a twin disc, will I have to modify the master then, I take it running the dual disc takes some adjustment then?
I never put it in my car...i bought it with 5k on it and decided to go a different direction so I won't be needing it. The master will need to be made adjustable but from what I've been told that's pretty easy.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

I have had pretty good luck with my Ram Powergrip HD. I am at a similar power level and haven't slipped it yet. Then again I haven't launched it on slicks or anything crazy, which is the only time my stock clutch slipped.

D
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

I ran the spec 4 in my 500 rwhp car and loved it. It made 380 N/A and 500 on spray. I had 3.73's and alot of ligntened stuff and it was still by far a enjoyable clutch and stuff. Longest trip I made was 350 miles one way with no complaints.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been through my stocker, a centerforce dual friction, spec 2, and now a ram powergrip with a spec billet steel FW. I'm not up there at all with power and I dont see the drag strip much at all. For drivability I liked them all but the spec 2. It grabbed reallly suddenly at a certain point and made the car shudder a bit if I didn't ride the clutch. Although, that was with the stock FW still. The billet steel one is a bit heavier and may help some. As for turning the flywheel. I had my stock one turned and was advised against doing it more than once.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Hell sounds like my journey so far then. I went from the stocker to a CF dual friction, that failed, then a Hays street/strip, I liked it but rear main seal leaked out and ruined it, and then I got this custom clutch setup made, but well the opinion is varied now in the other thread on just how bad it really is. Kinda sad though thinking it might be time for clutch number 5 already, what the hell?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default 2x NO Vote

My 1st Spec Stage 3+ lasted about 15k, while my second only lasted 1000 miles!

Cracked Springs, broke rivets - just like C/M (below) said. Oh, when it worked it was great fun, but it gave zero indication of failure, both times the car just would not start nor would the clutch disengage - after being burnt twice, I just say no to SPEC.

Having said that, the folks at South Bend Clutches make stuff even worse than SPEC and they will not stand behind their stuff; once they get your $$$ they don't know you...

My current Clutch is an LT4 unit; it works for me (N/A) but I'm sure it won't hold when you spray (or for me when my turbo is installed).

Originally Posted by CptMidway
I had probs with my Spec Stage 3 in my Hawk (400 rwhp/395Tq) . Took it apart and the 3 of the springs in the clutch disc had cracked. The plate that holds the springs in place broke at one of the rivets as well.
I have a stage 4 Spec with an unspring hub in my car now, but the next clutch will most likely be a street twin.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to send a email to the place that built this custom clutch, let them look at the pictures and evaluate how it looks. Then I will figure from there.

I was worried about Spec failures, I had heard of some LS1 issues, wasn't sure if there were any issues on the LT1 side, seems there have been some then, thanks guys.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

I just put in a McLead super street pro rated 500 hp clutch and I love it !!

I can tell you what I wouldn't buy

Spec Stage 1 2 3
Any Ram clutch

good luck on what you choose !!

Quick Reply: LT1 clutch options