Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning engine with simple green & water hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning engine with simple green & water hose

i wanted to know if it was safe to spay simple green over most of the engine, and engine bay, and run a stream of water from a garden hose over it and not affect any of the electrics...thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning engine with simple green & water hose

No problemo.. just put dont high pressure on the ECM or in the front of the lid.. just a common sense thing

the coil packs and rest of the engine are very water resistant..
Old 10-14-2003, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely not do it. I killed my front knock sensor by washing my motor with Simple Green and water. Simple Green is also corrosive to aluminum. Upon pulling the intake, you could see where the water had seeped under it and corroded the valley cover and made it's way to the front knock sensor. Not good.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

I hear simple green can damage hoses, I bought a product from a local motorcycle dealer, works real good, Honda makes one called Honda-brite. spray it and hose it off looks fine. and really shines.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so its not the water thats a problem (i worry about this bcuz of my LT1, lol) just the cleaner you use...
Old 10-16-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used simple green and a hose on just the front of the motor and it trashed one of the idler pullies, now is makes a HORRIBLE squealing sound and I don't have any money to fix
Old 10-16-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

you guys are right.. simple green is like ACID.. that explains my motor

Seriously.. if your that worried dilute it down some.. this is starting to sound like urban legends material
Old 10-16-2003, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, the corroded knock sensor and pitted/corroded valley cover on my car sure is an urban legend. You could see where the water/simple green had wicked under the intake. I would have doubts as well if this didn't happen to me first hand. There is a TSB out for killing knock sensors from people washing their engine.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/q....php?qstId=261

1998-2002: Service Bulletin: Audible Spark Knock (Detonation), MIL Illuminated, DTC P0332 Set
Subject: Audible Spark Knock (Detonation), MIL Illuminated, DTC P0332 Set (Replace Rear Bank Knock Sensor and RTV Area Around Sensor)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 02-06-04-023

Models: 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, 1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7L Engine (VIN G -- RPO LS1)

1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models (Avalanche, Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL) with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, Z, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonly referred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration and/or an illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0332 set.

Cause:

This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity. This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartment.

Seems like I am not the only one.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Fikse recomends cleaning their wheels with a 50% mixture of simple green and water.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I had Fikse's, I wouldn't come within 100 yards of them with Simple Green.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

http://www.simplegreen.com/faq.html
Old 10-16-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ONLY cleaner that comes any where near my FIKSE's is car wash soap, the EXACT same stuff I use on the paint of my car. If my FIKSE's ever get so dirty to require the use of a cleaner on them, I don't deserve to have the wheels. I know what FIKSE recommends but I won't buy it. The aluminum is so sensitive to rain, dirt & brake dust, can even imagine what Simple Green would do to them.

I never use Simple Green full strength, and never spray it on until AFTER presoaking.

Engine cleaning one needs to be careful, <font color="blue">minivette<!--color--></font> , has very good points, and advising from personal experience, take it as you wish . . .
Old 10-16-2003, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, the corroded knock sensor and pitted/corroded valley cover on my car sure is an urban legend. You could see where the water/simple green had wicked under the intake. I would have doubts as well if this didn't happen to me first hand. There is a TSB out for killing knock sensors from people washing their engine.

Calm down -- i wasnt bashing you but in the many years ive been here this is the first ive heard of this.. Maybe if you use simple green it should be diluted and then COMPLETLEY washed off? Maybe only use on the bottom section of the engine??

I agree that simple green and polished wheels seems like a bad idea.. I personally only used simple green on the block (hard to reach areas).. i used car shampoo on the rest of the motor and wheels..

Thanks for the TSB
Old 10-16-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe if you use simple green it should be diluted and then COMPLETLEY washed off?
I did. Also, I try to get this information on what happened to me out whenever I see one of these posts pop up. I may miss one here or there but I try.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

I would definitely not do it. I killed my front knock sensor by washing my motor with Simple Green and water. Simple Green is also corrosive to aluminum. Upon pulling the intake, you could see where the water had seeped under it and corroded the valley cover and made it's way to the front knock sensor. Not good.
Simple Green is NOT corrosive. It is FAR from acidic. Read their website.

Here and look at this chart to help you understand corrosiveness/acidity.

Chart

Many people have used Simple Green on things a lot more sensitive than aluminum with no problems. Did you ever consider that green stuff you found was copper from the water? Copper greatly affects pH. Your problem may have stemmed from cleaning your engine but it could not have been a result of simple green.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Simple Green is NOT corrosive. It is FAR from acidic. Read their website.

Here and look at this chart to help you understand corrosiveness/acidity.

Chart

Many people have used Simple Green on things a lot more sensitive than aluminum with no problems. Did you ever consider that green stuff you found was copper from the water? Copper greatly affects pH. Your problem may have stemmed from cleaning your engine but it could not have been a result of simple green.

Did you even read what I posted above directly quoted from the Simple green website?!?! Look at the link I posted above to help YOU understand Simple Green's stance on their products.

The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process.
How hard is it to understand? Maybe too hard for you? And where did I say the corrosion was green? The valley cover was pitted and corroded. Nothing was green. It was whitish if anything. I have proof, where's yours?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, lets all get along here.. this is the forum of love and happieness

I personally haven't had probs with SG but im pretty carefull with its use. Other people have seemed to have problems. If your concerned just use soap and water. The TSB makes it sound more like a water issue than a solvent issue though.

On the nex FOX.. "when Simple Green attacks!!"
Old 10-16-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done mine a few times and so far so good. I do recall SLP saying they used simple green and a garden hose with no nozzle. Of course this would not have been repeated on the same car over the course of a few years. Anyway, here's the correction listed on the TSB.

Correction
Replace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor.

Remove the intake manifold.

Remove the wiring harness assembly from the knock sensor.

Remove the rear bank knock sensor.

Install the new rear bank knock sensor. Tighten
Tighten the knock sensor to 20 N·m(15 lb ft).

Install the wiring harness assembly to the knock sensor.

Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8 in) wide and 6 mm (1/4 in) high along the outside edge of the ridge on the engine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. DO NOT form a complete circle. Leave the rear section open.

From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).

I've never had the intake off. What do they mean Foam Material on the underside of the intake manifold?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

I've never had the intake off. What do they mean Foam Material on the underside of the intake manifold?

The intake has foam glued to the bottom of it. the TSB thing was issued due to water getting into the knock sensors. Since SG is aqueous-base (water based), it would be the same as leaving a puddle of water under the intake. So SG is as safe to use on your engine as water is, if you consider water safe to be used? The active ingredient is not corrosive or reactive, but the water can cause the corrosion. Also, according to their MSDS sheet, it doesn't effect reproductive performance of offspring, so it safe to use on testacles too......
Old 10-17-2003, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

The active ingredient is not corrosive or reactive, but the water can cause the corrosion. Also, according to their MSDS sheet, it doesn't effect reproductive performance of offspring, so it safe to use on testacles too......
Damn, I love this site!!! Every time I log on I learn something NEW!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

you guys are right.. simple green is like ACID.. that explains my motor

Seriously.. if your that worried dilute it down some.. this is starting to sound like urban legends material
The only problem I ever had with Simple Green was when it was left too long on a set of AL valve covers. Spotted up real bad and had to be polished out.
I was cleaning the engine cay and got sidetracked came back about 15minutes later and the valve covers looked real bad. Kind of like a "concrete camoflage" look.

Quick Reply: Cleaning engine with simple green & water hose