General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My DD just started to knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My DD just started to knock

My 1996 saturn sL1 sohc 1.9liter automatic just started to knock. last night i realized it and today i checked the oil and its bone ****** dry! got her at 88kmiles an now has 95k. why did she blow through all that oil? im 900mi over due for an oil change which aint ****. i lost $4k on my dd honda last year that lasted
10kmiles. i am really having the luck of the lemons. i don't want to dd my camaro ss i got plans for her.

does anyone have an idea why she sucked all the oil? she has a slight knock which isn't really loud but noticable. when driving the knock gets faster as you drive faster. Its also coming from the top of the engine. im gonna wait til my roomate comes home with 5qts of w30 and see how she sounds after that. any suggestions?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why you gotta keep an eye on the oil level when you get a car, at least until you get an idea of its typical usage. Does it leak any oil? Any blue smoke from the tailpipe? Doesn't it have an oil light on it?

If the knock is from the top, it may be from that overhead cam either bearings or something like that. Pull it out and check it?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
That's why you gotta keep an eye on the oil level when you get a car, at least until you get an idea of its typical usage. Does it leak any oil? Any blue smoke from the tailpipe? Doesn't it have an oil light on it?

If the knock is from the top, it may be from that overhead cam either bearings or something like that. Pull it out and check it?

no colored smoke of any color. never seen oil spots. im not really a mechanic by any means so im not sure what to look for exactly.god i can't wait til the day i go through auto school when i get out of the military.