Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

t56 stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 stuck in gear

has anyone ever had to have the almighty t56 rebuilt. In southern california if so who did it. how much did they charge mine wont go into any gears its like stuck in 6th also is there such thing as a affordable t56 rebuild thanks guys
Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we do t56 rebuilds in house........ give us a call for details
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Red98a4SS
has anyone ever had to have the almighty t56 rebuilt. In southern california if so who did it. how much did they charge mine wont go into any gears its like stuck in 6th also is there such thing as a affordable t56 rebuild thanks guys

There's two places in So Cal I know that have the techs, experience and equipment to actually rebuild a T56 - both are not sponsors.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

I had mine break, and get stuck in 4th getting off the freeway. Turns out that it broke something the guy called a dog bone (because it looks like one). Took it to this guy, he fixed it for 550 parts and labor. Two days later broke it again... after the 5th time breaking I looked into it and tell the shop that is the shift fork is bent. He tells me no its not, rebuilds it again.. I take it out of the shop and break it 1 block away from the shop truned around brought it back to him and told him to change that shift forks.. he then tells me that there is a TSB that says the shift forks need to be replaced with steel ones.. Basicly what i was telling him all along... so there for, i would not take the car to him.. but depending where you live I know a good shop.

Sorry about the long post.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Launching!

It's almost always a shift fork or syncro when a T-56 breaks. Mine has lost 5th and is going in the shop soon. I've heard good things about CMS rebuilds. Will prob make the drive up there when it's time.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know how many people here have actually had their T56 rebuilt by CJ @ CMS. but i personally have, and i can tell you that it is a day and night difference. It can be VERY affordable there, unless you go crazy like i did. and it still isnt bad at all. Give them a call. they have some bad *** transmissions. After break-in im positive i could have power shifted the **** out of it, on the bottle.(if the clutch would hold) but i just didnt want to chance it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

hit up (slowpoke310 or stroker396 or xtreme_trans)@APF they are a sponsor here, he built two of my friends trans
Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Launching!

+2 on CJ at CMS ,he built mine and it i couldnt be happier..and the prices are just as good.... on a side note if u pull hard enough it should pop out without a problem...then just dont use 6th..i had the same issue with 3rd and 4th and i still drove it for months without using those gears
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CJ @ CMS did mine as well... best rebuild I've had yet! Seems like everytime i'm over there he's pulling apart a T56
Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_Y2KSS
+2 on CJ at CMS ,he built mine and it i couldnt be happier..and the prices are just as good.... on a side note if u pull hard enough it should pop out without a problem...then just dont use 6th..i had the same issue with 3rd and 4th and i still drove it for months without using those gears
yeah i have pulled it hard it wont come out its soo weird because if you put it in neutral its in 6th and if you put it in any gear and let the clutch out and give it gas the car will stall but if you put it in 6th the car goes wtf is going on????
Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

I would recommend CMS. The pricing is one of the best on the market. Not to mention the turn around time is something that you can't beat. They do all types of tremic transmissions from a F-body m6, to a ZO6 t-6060.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ @ the 3rd person talk...
Old 03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

you broke your 5/6 shift fork and your car is still engaged in 6 gear

if you are handy you can pull the tail housing of the t56 off remove 5/6 gear components block off the the gates and have a four speed for free lol

this is what i did last time i broke my 5/6 shift fork
makes for a very good racing trans
Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i have pulled it hard it wont come out its soo weird because if you put it in neutral its in 6th and if you put it in any gear and let the clutch out and give it gas the car will stall but if you put it in 6th the car goes wtf is going on????
do not put in any other gear and try to take off this could result in major damage
because your car is still engaged in 6 gear and then you put it in another your trans is in two gears at once and if you do this and try to relese the clutch so many bad things can happen all at once
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
you broke your 5/6 shift fork and your car is still engaged in 6 gear

if you are handy you can pull the tail housing of the t56 off remove 5/6 gear components block off the the gates and have a four speed for free lol

this is what i did last time i broke my 5/6 shift fork
makes for a very good racing trans
Thank you for the excellent information thats good news i know whats wrong with it now thanks i will not try to put it in gear i tried only a few times and figured out fast it wouldnt work my question to you is before this happened. it would grind going into 4th and the 5th gear would not go in at all and it would grind going into 6th what would cause this???
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

Guess it depends on where you are located and how far you want to travel. We are in Gardena. We are doing a t-56 right now. Give us a call when your ready.

http://performanceautopartsonline.co...products_id=34
Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for the excellent information thats good news i know whats wrong with it now thanks i will not try to put it in gear i tried only a few times and figured out fast it wouldnt work my question to you is before this happened. it would grind going into 4th and the 5th gear would not go in at all and it would grind going into 6th what would cause this???
more the likely it was broken slider keys or possible worn syncros but on these trans form what ive seen it usally the slider keys

i would recommend getting billet keys and carbon syncros when you have it rebuilt and try to take it to somebody that knows these trans( if you ask them about the billet keys and carbon syncros and they know about them that is good but if they dont walk away!!)

these trannys are not to hard to rebuild built but ive seen tranny shops really **** them up before and alot of shops have never even done one before

so it really pays to take it to some one on here and spend a lil extra cash
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
more the likely it was broken slider keys or possible worn syncros but on these trans form what ive seen it usally the slider keys

i would recommend getting billet keys and carbon syncros when you have it rebuilt and try to take it to somebody that knows these trans( if you ask them about the billet keys and carbon syncros and they know about them that is good but if they dont walk away!!)

these trannys are not to hard to rebuild built but ive seen tranny shops really **** them up before and alot of shops have never even done one before

so it really pays to take it to some one on here and spend a lil extra cash
will i have any problems pulling it out since its still engaged in gear???
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SCHP98ls1B4C
will i have any problems pulling it out since its still engaged in gear???
No, it won't change a thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would definately take to the guys @ CMS....I am sure they can help.

Quick Reply: t56 stuck in gear