LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

missfire when started warm.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default missfire when started warm. UPDATE !!!!!

I'm having a issue... Today, (and this is not the first time it happened), I drove maybe 10 miles to break in my new rear gears. So for the cool down period I spent some time at a car wash, about 15 min elapsed and I was on my way back home. Start it up, seemed fine started to pull out and it just fell on its face.
It was misfiring like crazy, but not long enough to set the ses light which is why its so hard to diagnose. The car is basically stock with minor bolt on's like Lt headers, 52 mm bbk and a madz28 tune.Most of the sensors are new, except for the injectors. the opti has 151k on it with a new cap and rotor. If anyone has any clue what the hell is going on don't hesitate to reply.

Last edited by TransAmdriv3r; 03-04-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your ICM might be on it's way out. They are known to run fine when cool, but once they get heat-soaked they start throwing a fit.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Sounds like your ICM might be on it's way out. They are known to run fine when cool, but once they get heat-soaked they start throwing a fit.
hmmm that make sense, I could run it as long as I want, but as soon as i shut it off and let it sit awhile, it probably gets heat soaked with the fans off and the coolant not circulating. I have a extra one lying around, i'll throw it on see what happens.
thanks !
Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck.

You might also want to extend the studs that mount the coil/ICM assembly away from the heads to promote more air circulation.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAmdriv3r
I'm having a issue... the opti has 151k on it with a new cap and rotor.

Does it do it sitting still or WOT?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Green3spd

Does it do it sitting still or WOT?
Thats just the thing, it doesnt do it except when I restart the car after Ive been driving it for a while. Ill restart it, idles fine, start to give it alittle gas, still fine and as soon as I give it about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it will miss and then Ill floor it and the miss will clear up and never do it again.
I got the other icm in now, I just need to drive it.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Please tell me what you find out, my car is going the exact same thing!!!! As soon as it gets just hot enough I experience misfire. I suppose it doesn't help that my headers go forward right past the ICM to feed the turbo. haha.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Im having a problem like this. I start it up its okish.Shortly after There is noticeable miss fires but you feel it mainly under 2.5k. The car still idles/ has power but mainly dosnt die. Once in a while ill hit a big bump and it cuts out for a brief second. I havent a clue where to start. I just put new plugs and wires on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Mine was having an issue similar. But I narrowed it down to an injector leaking fuel into the motor
Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Default Update !!!

I took it for another long ride, stopped for 10 or so minutes, came back out. I started it (again, seems to start well) started to pull out and it happened again. So, This is after I swapped with a good oem GM icm.

Now, I was just checking things out and I notice underneath my oil cap and in my larger rubber lines there seems to be this yellow goo, smells very strong of gas, it even swelled up the rubber line to the pcv valve and the line from the breather to the throttle body. I think I may have some issues with either the coolant temp sensor to the pcm, 02 sensors or injectors. what do you think !
Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

I was thinking back to when this started and it seemed to start soon after I swapped injectors. I just put some new ones in and agian Ill have to see.how it goes. I also bought all new pig tail for every sensor on the damn motor.

I did notice one thing. Im only getting 10v to the iac motor.

Quick Reply: missfire when started warm.