General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

popping sound while turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping sound while turning

Its not very loud, I cant even hear it over the radio but its pretty constant. Its not just making 90 degree turns that does it I can hear it on very slight turns as well. Also some times hear it while braking. The popping slows down as the car slows down so I guess its something to do with my rotors What else could it be?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

hub/bearings - you should test yours. If you are getting popping from them, you should be able to detect play in the hub when you raise the wheel off the ground and try to move it back and forth. If you get play - they need to be replaced ASAP.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Default I have the same problem

I get the same kind of noise. I can hear it when i turn the car to the left, but only if the car is going over 20mph, it does not make the noise when i am accelerating. it sounds like it is comming from the passenger rear area.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a number of things.

If it happens while turning, it could be tie-rod ends, or anything else in the rack.

If it happens while braking, it could be springs or LCAs.

I don't think it's a hub because it would be constant - all the time - if it was.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I took it into a shop today, and had them go for a ride with me. They said he could hardley hear it, and it would be hard and very expensive just to find out what the issue is. He also told me that nothing is going to break, and if it gets louder to bring it back in. Im putting new wheels and tires on it this weekend so ill double check my panhard bar, and adjust it if needed. The sound is loud when i turn one way(I think to the right), and it is constant. It also makes it when i brake, no noise under acceleration at all. It almost seems like it got louder when i lowered it
Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The shop is probably correct in that nothing is going to break. The sound is just indicative of excess wear or vibration, which at some point will get worse, a part will then wear out and need to be replaced.

Given the above, do you want to live with the noise for now, or are you interested in preemptively repairing the issue? (Again the shop has some wisdom here. Preemptive fixes are very expensive for someone else to do - but if you do the work yourself, it could make better financial sense.)