LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Engine ticking @ light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ticking @ light acceleration

Last night I had the radio turned down for some reason and I noticed a ticking upon acceleration. I'm about due for an oil change, and the oil level is not low (it was a few weeks ago...the DIC told me so). It took a quart to get to the correct level.

Is this sound lifters? Valves? What else could it be? I've never noticed this before, although I know I get the notorious lifter ticking @ startup, and the DoD/AFM "chatter" when slowing down in 4-cyl mode (that goes away when it hits 8-cyl mode).

This new sound is barely audible, but it concerns me If it were amplified, I would go as far as to say it could sound like an 80's-early 90's model vehicle that is on its last leg. Every once in a while, I'll see an older car driving by that has that knocking sound...like the engine has no oil. I don't know the difference between a ping & a tick, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a tick. It does not get louder as I speed up, and I believe it eventually goes away at speed. It may coincide with RPM, and no, I have not revved in neutral to see if it does it only under load conditions.

I'm not going to worry too much about it unless some fresh oil doesn't cure its woes. I'll probably get around to that next weekend, since I'll be nearing 5% on the OLM (and probably around 5k on mileage).
Old 03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

was the car still cold?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you are using Mobil 1 and normanally change it around the 5000 mile mark.
Does it normally go through a quart every 5k?
Do you notice any performance loss?
What kind of miles are you up to?
Do you still have your Predator? If so check your oil pressure at start and through complete warm up and while driving.
Since you are going to change the oil soon try adding this now before the change and see if it helps, it will with the cold start tic and the 4/8 chatter
http://www.duralube.com/Galleries/Sm...ll%20sheet.pdf
If it does the trick for you add one at every oil change.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

No, car was warm to hot.

Yes, M1 @ ~5k intervals.
Yes, it normally goes through 1/2-1 full qt during this time.
Yes, the car seems sluggish...but has for a while now. Ever since the tranny started acting up (weird highway shifting patterns, occasional slip-bang into 1st), I've been easier on her since that started. Haven't had it bang into 1st in a long time, though.
No, don't have the Diablo anymore.
I'll look into that Duralube stuff. Is that available at most parts stores?

I thought that stuff sounded familiar...haven't seen an infomercial for it in a long time, though:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/05/duralub2.shtm
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I've had the ticking issue as well, usually in the cold or from not letting the car warm up enough. You are using the 5W-30 synthetic oil right, or have you changed the type and or weight of the oil? Have you considered shutting off the DOD I know your Diablo is gone, perhaps there was an issue with programing? Also I would look at the seals and the head gaskets as well to see fi there is any leaking. It could also just be the type and or quality of the filter, mabey its needing a change before the DIC realizes. I usually keep track of the oil changes myself as I really don't feel the DIC is acurate, but then again it depends on your type of driving, if you drive hard, then I would change the oil sooner, and go to a higher quality filter like K&N.

Last edited by onehotss; 03-04-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A poorly running engine can and will affect the transmission. As for the transmission we all know the problems with it. Possibly warrenty or a goodwill repair on it!
Oil loss if it is burning, will cause permanent damage to o2 sensors and the cat this is a serious culprit of power loss.
Your concern about the duralube may be mislead, the info you linked to was for 1999 and there was nothing further for this company that I know of.
I did not recomend it for any performance hoopla, it does and will help to remove the varnish and carbon deposits on the internals of your engine. This is all I am concerned about. These engines are completly closed and have a maintenance free PCV system that does get really dirty inside. Also the upper end of this engine has reduced oiling for the top end by design, proirty oiling to the bottom end.
If you have a friend with a Diablo maybe they can check your oil pressure.
As for where to get the above mentioned product:
http://www.duralube.com/DealerLocator.aspx
Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I'm using M1 5W-30 and M1 filters. Regarding the Duralube, I was also considering the Seafoam treatment. Really cleared out the 4.0L OHV in my old Explorer a few years ago, and does the same thing, for the most part.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing, i can hold it about 2500 or so and sounds like a sewing machine... it due for an oil change, ill see if that makes a diff. its not loud enough that im concerned about it being an issue. ive got 41K on it now.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Yeah, I'm using M1 5W-30 and M1 filters. Regarding the Duralube, I was also considering the Seafoam treatment. Really cleared out the 4.0L OHV in my old Explorer a few years ago, and does the same thing, for the most part.
Personally I would never be that brutal:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

These two products are very competent in my books!
http://www.duralube.com/Galleries/Sm...-SellSheet.pdf
http://www.duralube.com/Galleries/Sm...es%20sheet.pdf

+ a good cleaning of the throttle body and mass airflo sensor every year.

I have cars with 400,000 kilometers, 370,000 kilometers, 293.000 kilometers and many more, I like it and It likes me. I never have to add more than 1 liter of oil to all my vehicles together between oil changes.

http://www.duralube.com/Galleries/Sm...rebate%202.pdf

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 03-05-2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: add a link for rebate
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Good info. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

About that slip into first, I actualyl removed my K and N because it used to cause a delayed shift at WOT 1-2. Something like that I can see screwing with the gear box. I don't know if you had that issue.

My engine occassionally ticks in the morning..I think more due to the cold weather... My CD player has a hard time reading CD-Rs cold.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

You guys are brave. I never go over 3k miles between oil changes. And that 5k and 15k crap that Mobile trys to sell is a joke. I run German Castrol 0-40w and a K&N oil filter and change it every 3k miles or less depending on what I have been doing with the car (racing alot...). And I never have had to add oil between changes.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had virtually no oil after only about 2500 miles...now I get a loud "chatter" above 2k rpm upon accelerating..what do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What engine? What miles on it? What mods and when? What oil and weight?

Just a quick guess an intake lifter or bent intake pushrod. But that is without any history!

Quick Reply: Engine ticking @ light acceleration