General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake

My e-brake has been kinda messed up for a while and i was looking to fix it when i get it up on the lift tomorrow to do my clutch. When i pull it it basically stands straight up basically perpendicular to the center console. It barely grabs too, like on a steep hill it wont keep the car from rolling. I was wondering where i could tighten up this cable so that it doesn't pull so damn high.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

there is an adjustment wheel on the bottom of the B-brake plate. Its probably at the "closed" position, or adjusted all the way in....you need to take a flat head screwdriver, and "turn" the adjuster wheel (has grooves, looks like a lil gear) and adjust it so that you just start to see a gap between that wheel, and the tip that extends out as you turn it. This will widen the E-brake pads in the stationary position, and once you pull your handle, they have less space to travel to make contact. You will need to remove your tire, caliper (hang it) and rotor to gain access to the adjuster wheel. Not sure of the spec on the measurment, but i could not stick the tip of the screw driver i used in the gap i made.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

dont quote on this as its been a bit, but i want to say that you strike the wheel up to extend on the driver side, and strike it down on the passenger side to extend. Mine took about 3 whacks from the closed position to create the gap i mentioned.

I could not stick my smallest feeler gauge in the gap,,its just a hair open and my brake feels back to normal
Old 03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
dont quote on this as its been a bit, but i want to say that you strike the wheel up to extend on the driver side, and strike it down on the passenger side to extend. Mine took about 3 whacks from the closed position to create the gap i mentioned.

I could not stick my smallest feeler gauge in the gap,,its just a hair open and my brake feels back to normal
thanks alot, thats a pretty good enought place to start off for me, hopefully i will be as successful. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nting-sky.html

Check out the link on my last post, which will take you to another page with additional details on the proceedure. Unfortunately the adjustment needs to be done at both wheels with the rotors off. (Its not like other cars where you can just adjust the cable.)
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nting-sky.html

Check out the link on my last post, which will take you to another page with additional details on the proceedure. Unfortunately the adjustment needs to be done at both wheels with the rotors off. (Its not like other cars where you can just adjust the cable.)
Word, that sounds a lot better then hitting it with a hammer. thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

lol,,you dont use a hammer man. You'll figure it out once you try to turn that adj wheel.