Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any APS owners running the Burkhart front bumper support?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any APS owners running the Burkhart front bumper support?

I am thinking about getting the front bumper support from Burkhart, I was wondering if there is any issues with that fitting with the aps kit on a Trans Am?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure. The stock bumper support had to be trimmed on the backside to allow for the sheet metal guiding the air up and through the intercooler. So maybe as long as that one is smaller than the stock beam and does not interfere with the shroud provided, it might work for you.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know this also. i want to get one. i was looking the other night i dont think it will interfer. i guess if it does i will just fab my own shroud
Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

burkhart said I would have to cut the flap off on the bottom inside of the bumper cover, not sure how that would work with the aps air tunnel.

I don't think it would directly interfere with the intercooler or the piping. I am installing the intercooler and piping later next week, so I would have a better Idea then.

I would like to get some weight off of the front end to make up for the added weight of the turbo system.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Let us know how it goes. And take pictures
Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like pain in the butt . You lose some weight automatically with the aftermarket kmember and could do the a arms and relocate battery to trunk maybe and some guys don't run sway bar in front either. Mine is temporarily off but might put it back on not sure yet. It does handle better with it and my car is not 1/4 mile only car.

I wonder what the turbo kit actually adds for weight? Its got to be fairly heavy with the stock type exh manifolds but you can lose the cats depending on where you live. That intercooler is pretty heavy also and the piping would add a few more pounds. Oh well not too worried about weight car has more than enough hp currently and potentially to compensate for any added weight. If I wanted super lite would get a vette.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I'm looking at it from a drag racing point of view. I'v already got the battery in the back, so the next reasonably priced thing is to get that bumper support...........I'm not taking mine out unless I get the support from burkhart...........I'm not gonna have the bumper sitting there loose like that.

and A arms.............700 for maybe 10lbs..........not cost effective

either way........we might fab something up at the local speed shop......he does roll cages and I think we could do it cheaper than the 250, but still 250 is cheap IMO for 20 lbs.......I've already done all the normal weight reduction that I am willing to do to my car.......abs cruise etc

I will take some pics either way
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are better off fabing your own as you will still need something to help hold up the intercooler.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's not 100% needed that you cut the flap. We do not use it to secure the nose. The APS kit should fit fine and not have clearance issues. we open up a lot of room where the stock support attaches. we are also runninf AtW IC and a radiator in the support on our turbo setups.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

I went ahead and ordered it tuesday........................Clearance won't be a problem with the intercooler

One issue I will have is the air tunnel and the flap on the bumper both fasten to the factory bumper support........................to fix this we will just extend the aps air tunnel to the bottom of the bumper and make a scoop out of it...........maybe the same idea of the SSRA kits. I will take some pics of what I do when I get the bumper support in next week
Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

please take pics i'm very interested as i'm about to install an APS kit and the weight savings would be sweet!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

yeah I will snap some pics of it and how I make it work...........it may be a couple of weeks before I can get to the local speed shop to have the additional metal work done
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pics? bringing this back to life...i just ordered one kinda weary about it though..

Quick Reply: Any APS owners running the Burkhart front bumper support?