PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would replacing intake manifold cause P1153 code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would replacing intake manifold cause P1153 code?

I just got a P1153 today for the first time both 02 sensors are new. The only recent change to the car is a intake manifold swap, would this some how be related? No other codes.

P1153 heated 02 insufficient switching bank 2 sensor 1
Old 03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

OK an update so in the future if someone searches P1153, when installing the new manifold I didn't swap over the rubber fitting for the PCV that attaches to the nipple on the throat of the intake. I used a piece of tubing, well in that rubber fitting is a small spring loaded one way valve. That looks like by the size limits the amount of unmetered air and also doesn't allow the pcv valve to draw from the system under low vacuum.

P1153 is a code for insufficient O2 switching bank 2 sensor 1 but by doing some research on google it's usually not a bad sensor. It's common when installing headers because the O2 is moved further down stream and the O2 doesn't like the cooler exhaust gases or if you have a exhuast leak before the O2.

Not as common is a intake leak that allows unmetered air into the intake could be gaskets, hoses, fitting, etc. It can be tough to diagnose because you might not get any other codes such as lean codes or misfire codes because the leak fits a small envelope of being bad enough for a P1153 but not bad enough for th other codes. Hope this information helps for people doing a search in the future.

One last thing is if this code shows up and you haven't recently installed headers spray some carb cleaner around the intake and hoses and see if the idle jumps to see if you have a vacuum leak before buying new O2's.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

awesome, this deff helps, im putting on block off plates for this **** and gettin it tuned so i dont gotta worry w it anymore!

Quick Reply: Would replacing intake manifold cause P1153 code?