General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fine metal filings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine metal filings in oil

Ok, so I noticed this when I changed the oil both today and prior to me buying the car.

There are very super fine filings in the oil on the drain plug magnet. This is the second time that its happened, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned. I mean, I already am because there should not be any

Any ideas? Its not a large ammount, but its enough to make me a little worried...
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Alot of times there are powder-like silver shavings on the plug between oil changes.

Just depends on how big these pieces are.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this may make you feel better, but im the ~4 years i have had my car, there has always been metal "dust" in the oil

i cant even feel them in my finger if i dip it in the oil.. i wouldnt worry and would just say it is normal wear.. unless you are getting somewhat large pieces (bigger than grains of sand)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dust is considered normal wear, its larger chunks or shavings Id be worried about, or if the oil itself has a shiney glint to it
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, as far as I remember the oil itself wasn't metallic in color, just the stuff on the plug was shiny when i rubbed it on some of the wooden fence posts near my apartment.

That does make me feel better, and yeah, they are no larger than a grain of sand, it looks almost like a dark metallic model paint on the wood. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks guys
Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Fairly normal. Usualy after a motor is broken in and has decent ammount of miliage on it, you will no longer see much of any shavings. But, you might see some which more resembles a carbon soot.

Quick Reply: Fine metal filings in oil