LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP with a c4(lt1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with a c4(lt1)

Here a lil background info
My best friends dad has a 96 c4 vette. He has been having to bleed the purge valve daily for a week now and water pump was barely leaking out the weephole as of tonight.Optispark was replaced about 2 years ago so I went ahead, Drained all of the coolant, took a shop vacuum and sucked out all the coolant and barely spilled any at all.(Did it last week with my ls1... dam water pumps) Opti is dry and clean, I need to clean the block badly.. Its a greasy bitch(160k DD) I am going to cover up the opti and do what i can with it... but I need some advice...

1. Any tips.. DO NOTs.. MUST DOs with a high mile BONE stock lt1?
2. I found some cracked vacuum lines and im fixing all kinds of little ****.. what all should I look for?

Hes been outta work recently and just got a great job and gave me his debit card so Im going to do it cheap, correctly, and fix everything that is needed.

Throw em out there
Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what u are asking here, obviously it needs a water pump replacement, alot of guys change over to one of the electric ones when doing this as they permanently seal off that weep hole the stock ones have. Sounds like you are on your way otherwise, get the front of the motor as clean as you can which might be as simple as using something like simple green and brake parts cleaner, a 3m gasket removal scrubby wheel on a cordless drill works very well, then put the new pump on. There are plenty of wires and vac hoses in the middle of all this like you stated, any that look bad should be replaced, I'd also be looking at the plug wires while you are in there considering the miles. I would also recommend putting a new temp sensor in the waterpump while its all apart, its a $15 item that can make a car run like crap or fail emissions. When you put the waterpump bolts back in make sure you cleaned the threads off very well and use thread sealer paste NOT locktite on them.