Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Intake

This is probably on here some where but I have done a few searches and can't seem to find the answer.

I actually have two questions.

(A) I'm in the middle of a LS6 intake swap and (yes I broke the oil pressure sending unit) but I was wondering, the LS6 intake has no electrical connection for the MAP sensor in the rear of the intake. Do I just leave it unplugged?

(B)Should I trailer it to my dyno tune or is it safe to drive (about 75 miles away)?

I have deleted EGR and AIR as well and all mods I have are on stock tune.

my mods, that I think would matter are: LT's, ORY, Volant, 3.70 QP 9" Rear with no ABS, and of course LS6 intake.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

(A) MAP electrical connection. What are you talking about? Take the MAP sensor out of your old intake & stick it in the LS6, then plug in the connector from the PCM.

(B) As long as it idles without stalling & isn't pig rich (black smoke) or lean (engine knock), you can drive GENTLEY to the dyno tuner. No hard pulls on the way there.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i didn't think you had to tune it when swapping to the ls6 intake..?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

i swapped out my ls1 intake for a ls6 intake and drove it for a year befor i tuned it....drag strip and all...never had a problem.....
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Launching!

dont need a tune. unless you throwin in a set of injectors with it
Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1-450
(A) MAP electrical connection. What are you talking about? Take the MAP sensor out of your old intake & stick it in the LS6, then plug in the connector from the PCM.

(B) As long as it idles without stalling & isn't pig rich (black smoke) or lean (engine knock), you can drive GENTLEY to the dyno tuner. No hard pulls on the way there.
I just went out and looked at my LS1 intake and didn't realize that the map sensor popped out, I only looked at it as the intake was on the way out into the junk pile and thought it was molded into the snout. Thanks. I'm glad I didn't throw it away.

As for driving it to the dyno tune, someone on another board wrote that I'd be crazy to drive it with all my mods on the original tune. I was just checking.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drive it to get tuned u will be fine.....probly be fine no even tuning the car but it will make more power tuned
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Finally got the intake in and everything all put together. She sounds fine (didn't drive her yet, I just finished and wanted to have a couple drinks and kick back but and I'll be driving it to the tune. Now I have to put the rear end in. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another member drove his car with his broken OPSU, yes he broke his waiting for the new on to arrive. he said he had no issues until the car got hot. Once it was hot it was spewing about 3 qts of oil out from that location......
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know, you shouldn't have any problem what so ever getting it to the tuner on your stock tune with those mods.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait, your tranny maybe the shift points since you changed out the gears and such, watch your speed.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
another member drove his car with his broken OPSU, yes he broke his waiting for the new on to arrive. he said he had no issues until the car got hot. Once it was hot it was spewing about 3 qts of oil out from that location......
I replaced my OPSU before I put the intake on.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

I can tell you this, when I do my heads and have to pull that intake again I am definitely going to lower the engine a bit if not drop it down entirely. I have big hands and some of the back bolts were a mother to work on and unclipping the #7 fuel injector was a beach.

Another thing I noticed that when pulling the intake a lot of crap fell into the heads, I bent a small tube and used epoxy to hold it into a cap for the hose on my shop vac to vacuum out the crap sitting on the valves. It worked well.

I suggest everyone looks in each inake ports before throwing on that new intake. I had so much crap in between, I do not like the way these intakes seal, I prefer the way a normal 350 intakes seals. Unless you’re pulling your intake straight up, debris will fall into your heads. So I actually wonder if it is really worth it for the 15-20 extra ponies to do an intake swap. I'm sure some on here will pipe in that they did it without dropping anything in but unless you just drive your car in a clean room, you did get some crap into at least one cylinder.