Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a regular plate type cooler be enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would a regular plate type cooler be enough?

I was going to "go all out" and buy one of B&M's cooling systems, but I just cant see paying over $200 for one. Do you really think theyre worth it? What kind of application would you need to have to really need one of these? The whole reason for me even considering a cooler with a fan is because I know lots that are having problems getting enough air with the Fast Toys ram air kit which I am running. Do you think that I should spend the money and get one or just buy a regular plate type cooler? Will a regular cooler be enough? Is there anywhere that I could mount the cooler, still having the ram air kit and not modifying it at all, and have plenty of air flow for the cooler? Im having a hard time deciding on what to do and I need some help doing so. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Would a regular plate type cooler be enough?

Most peope are running B&m supercoolers 1900-2400. They are $50. Should be fine in regular conditions. Just stay away from hot runs back to back.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club NA

I wanted to go with a 28k GVW, but some say theyre having problems installing it because its too big. So Im thinking of just going with the 24k, but I didnt know if that was going to be enough. What do you mean when you say stay away from hot runs back to back? I plan to take the car to the track every once in a while, but nothing serious as far as competing or anything. I would say no more than 10 runs in on day/night. (if that) Most of the car's use will be on the street. It will be more of a weekend car now, so it wont (hopefully) see stop and go traffic. I would think thats where it would be a problem running a regular plate type cooler. Being stopped for periods of time and not having adequate air for the cooler. I just cant justify spending another $150 for it to have a built in fan and thermal switch. I would think it would be beneficial to use the cooling system so that its still cooling while in line to make a pass. But that wouldnt necessarily be needed unless it was a strip car only. What do you think that I should do? Oh by the way, does the 24K GVW cooloer (B&M) come with all the lines, fitting, etc. that I will need to hook it up? Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just run the b&m supercooler (single panel one) unless you are making a strip only car go all out and get the best.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was talking about doing 2-3 runs in a 5min period, this is next to impossible at most tracks anyway.The 2400 will do fine for street/strip.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club NA

Would I need an A4 radiator for a plate type cooler? Someone mentioned to me if I ran an external cooler for the tranny, then I dont need to worry about the radiator. I didnt know if they were referring the the B&M cooling system that I was originally going to get or any tranny cooler. How would it be hooked up with having a manual radiator that doesnt have the provisions? Thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is everything you have to know.
www.bfranker.badz28.com/94z/trannycooler.htm