Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

did the big 3 today and the battery leaked!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default did the big 3 today and the battery leaked!!!

WTH did the big 3 install today (lt1) and i cranked the car up well one of the wires was too close to the alternator and caught up in it, nothing too bad just killed the car and put a few gouges in the wire, but then i hear a bubbling noise and i look over and my f-ing battery was leaking out near the bottom on the neg side (optima red top), so i grabbed my hose and sprayed it down and removed the battery from the car as fast as i could, now from what i am reading i dont think it was battery acid, it didnt do any damage to my car and also from what i am reading is that if the alternator overpowers the battery it can cause it to boil water out of the battery, does anyone know W T F i do now? Is the battery shot or what?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone???
Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take the battery back if it is under warranty.
This is the first time I have heard of this happening after TB3.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought optimas were a dry cell battery. Thats why you can mount them upside down and sideways under the bed of trucks. WTF?? Now I want to know what it was that came out of it.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

what do you mean one was too close to the alternator and got caught up? was it the alternator to positive cable or one of the ground cables?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dilatedpeoples28
what do you mean one was too close to the alternator and got caught up? was it the alternator to positive cable or one of the ground cables?
It was the alternator to pos cable, i routed it on the wrong side of the a/c condensor and it got caught in the alternator belt, put a few gouges in it but i fixed that and routed it the right way.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99345hp
I thought optimas were a dry cell battery. Thats why you can mount them upside down and sideways under the bed of trucks. WTF?? Now I want to know what it was that came out of it.
They are gel cell not dry cell.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like thermal runaway. You created a dead short to ground when your alternator tore into the positive cable causing the battery to overheat due to the extreme current draw. I would get a new battery. I would take any chances of installing it back and then it blowing up in your face for one, or leave you stranded out on the road.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -T-
Sounds like thermal runaway. You created a dead short to ground when your alternator tore into the positive cable causing the battery to overheat due to the extreme current draw. I would get a new battery. I would take any chances of installing it back and then it blowing up in your face for one, or leave you stranded out on the road.
yea i figured the battery was KMA but the only thing i am worried about is if the alternator does it again, i dont want to blow 100 bucks to find out my amp is overpowering the battery.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transambandit
yea i figured the battery was KMA but the only thing i am worried about is if the alternator does it again, i dont want to blow 100 bucks to find out my amp is overpowering the battery.
wtf overpowering the battery, this happened because u caused a dead short
Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
wtf overpowering the battery, this happened because u caused a dead short
I am assuming you mean your amp is pulling too much for your battery? Or that your alternator is overcharging your battery? I will answer both for you.

You amp will run off of your alternator when the vehicle is running, simultaneously... the alternator is charging your battery. If your amp is pulling to much current, you will see your battery gauge in your vehicle twitch during bass hits. A cap. will help aleviate some of that. Depending on how big your amp is. You might need a bigger alternator.

Alternator overcharging.... Your battery has a protection circuit so that it will not be overcharged. If this is failing... you need a new battery.

Either way, the 100 for a new battery can't be seen as a loss. Your existing one leaked. Take it back and get a new one. If you would like to check your amp load... when you start your car back up with your new battery, disconnect the battery pos. Have someone hold it while you look at your battery gauge to see any fluctuation during bass hits. This will give you an idea on whether your alternator is sufficient.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

what color was the gel in there?