Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

can i swap a cassette monsoon for a monsoon cd one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i swap a cassette monsoon for a monsoon cd one?

i know the better choice would be to install a better hu, but want the stock look, are they interchangable? i couldnt find an answer in the faq or search.

thanks
josh
Old 03-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, they are interchangeable. Just make sure you get one from the same model of car so that it matches the dash.

And yes, it was covered in the Monsoon FAQ:
The head unit is nothing special - it's just an ordinary 1.5 DIN Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. In fact, some of the early Monsoon systems didn't even have the label on the head unit. Camaro HUs are black with black controls and blue/white illumination. Firebird HUs are dark gray with gray controls and red illumination. Both types are basically the same and are physically interchangeable although they had some different features - Camaros came with speed compensated volume whereas Firebirds have a graphic equalizer. Both are capable of using a power antenna but only the Firebirds came with one.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ as said above it will work. the factory cd player from my 99 gtp worked in my 2000 trans am. ran it for several months until i installed my alpine. steering controls worked too