Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure/top end noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low oil pressure/top end noise?!

Im kinda new to this forum so forgive if im doing this wrong. But my buddy has a 2002 camaro m6 that we recently did an ls6 cam swap on. We also added longtubes and true duals but the car was not tuned. Everything went fine during the swap and the car ran fine for a good week or 2 and now the car has no oil pressure and he says he can hear a weird noise that sounds like its coming from the top end. Obviously, this is not good at all but does anyone have any ideas on what could've happened or advice on what to start checking 1st?! Any input is greatly appreciated and sorry ahead of time if this is not enough info but thats pretty much all he left me with.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

check oil level first..did you swap the oil pump? cam retainer tight?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you did an oil pump swap, maybe the oil pump o-ring got pinched on the p/u tube?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What did you do about push rods on the cam swap? When using stock LS1 heads/valves you would need a little longer pushrod with that LS6 cam because the base circle on the cam is smaller than a stock LS1 cam is. So with that said you may have some lifter issues going on. Secondly that will mess with the oil pressure some also but I don't know if it would be enough to lower the pressure alot. Only other thing I could think of other than that would be the cam retainer plate, oil pump loose, pickup tube o-ring, or low oil level. Many different things it could be.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, we did not do an oil pump swap on the car and the oil level is fine. But we did use the stock ls1 pushrods. But the only thing that still worries me is if that was the issue wouldnt it have given us a problem from the jump?! The car has 70k miles on it but is not a DD and pretty much only comes out to race. We had no issues with it at all for about 2weeks or so then this mysteriously happens. We'll pull the valve covers 1st and see if theres anything unusual.