General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

shifter sticking(automatic, need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter sticking(automatic, need HELP

I have a '96 automatic formula and have had a problem with the shifter sticking. It only sticks when taking it out of park and sticks almost every single time...anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Chad
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Explain a little more.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get underneath the car and grease the mechanism that attaches the linkage to the tranny itself. Have someone put their foot on the brake (car off!) and have them shift it from PARK to 1 several times as you watch underneath... could be just hung up & un-oiled/greased. Do you drive it in the winter?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM

I do not drive it in the winter. I took the shifter and console unit off to see if it was an easy fix. I was able to recess the plastic rod inside the shifter "tube" and shift with no problems between gears. I WD40'd all visible 'rubbing areas' and reassembled the **** only to find the same thing is happening. So I concluded that the problem is most likely that he **** is somehow not recessing that plastic rod enough to shift smoothly out of park...I do not know how to fix this though.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, PB Blaster is way better than WD40. I've never had one of those apart, so just lube it up good, and get it moving back & forth is my only advice
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of people don't realize WD-40 is water-based. Not good unless you want things to rust after you spray it.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Mine's doing the exact same thing. Did you ever figure out the problem?

As far as WD-40 being water based...um NO it's petroleum based. I pulled an MSDS sheet.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

The WD in WD40 stands for "water displacement", and that is what it is made to do. It is NOT water based. However, it is also not a good lubricant. Parts in the shifter linkage should probably be lubed with something like lithium grease.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula413
The WD in WD40 stands for "water displacement", and that is what it is made to do. It is NOT water based. However, it is also not a good lubricant. Parts in the shifter linkage should probably be lubed with something like lithium grease.
SOB - I always thought it was water-based. Oh well.

And yes, lithium grease is best for this application.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula413
It's the result of a government project to prevent rust and corosion on Atlas Missiles. It stands for water displacement-attempt 40.

A friend had this problem on a pontiac grand prix. There's a safety mech. that won't let you shift out of park unless you are on the brakes. I don't know the part name or number but that was his car's problem.