Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HSW noid going bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSW noid going bad

long story short, my hsw purge solenoid is going bad after 1 yr and 1 month. Had about 4 bottles go through it, most sit up time was about 3 months. Was told it was possibly due to incorrect installation. Yet im a professional installer in the 12 volt industry. I have soldered connections, each solenoid has its own ground, including pure metal contact, ring terminal, and star washers. I am now told I have to purchase a new solenoid most likely.

my MAIN concern is the solenoids themselves, im REALLY REALLY concerned about my other noids, as they have not been used frequently, but consistently, and now are failing.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chetmo
long story short, my hsw purge solenoid is going bad after 1 yr and 1 month. Had about 4 bottles go through it, most sit up time was about 3 months. Was told it was possibly due to incorrect installation. Yet im a professional installer in the 12 volt industry. I have soldered connections, each solenoid has its own ground, including pure metal contact, ring terminal, and star washers. I am now told I have to purchase a new solenoid most likely.

my MAIN concern is the solenoids themselves, im REALLY REALLY concerned about my other noids, as they have not been used frequently, but consistently, and now are failing.
Sorry to here about the solenoid issue. What is it doing for you to think it is going bad?

Dave
Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

wont open consistently under 1050 psi, thats what my NANO is setup for, i can close the bottle and knock pressure down a little, and it will open up just fine.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM
FormerVendor

Has it ever worked at that pressure?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my hsw solenoid lasted short of a year, but was exposed to a lot of heat as i had it between the ac canister and the exhaust manifold. it stopped opening at anything over 900 psi. i switched to the fat nitrous outlet solenoid and about a year and a half later, it is sticking shut above around 1050-1075 psi. its just a few inches further from the exhuast manifold.

is it possible your pressure is higher than 1050? when it gets a little warm, my nano setup seems to get the pressure a little higher than i want it to until i relieve some of it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
my hsw solenoid lasted short of a year, but was exposed to a lot of heat as i had it between the ac canister and the exhaust manifold. it stopped opening at anything over 900 psi. i switched to the fat nitrous outlet solenoid and about a year and a half later, it is sticking shut above around 1050-1075 psi. its just a few inches further from the exhuast manifold.

is it possible your pressure is higher than 1050? when it gets a little warm, my nano setup seems to get the pressure a little higher than i want it to until i relieve some of it.
If you have your solenoid mounted where it sees a constant amount of heat its going to break the coil down over time. Even a solenoid built to the highest standards like our Nitrous OUtlet brand will start to see the signs of heater break down oer a period of time. You may want to find a location alittle further from the direct heat.
Dave
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

has worked since i got the nano. Solenoids are mounted bw/ coils/fast intake area, not alot of heat really. And the solenoid has always opened until recently, I thought I had a loose ocnnection even though everything is soldered, I then thought my purge switch was going out, I then replaced the relay, everything points to the noid going bad. Btw I have 2 (and on backup bottle 2) nitrous gauges, 1025-1050 consistently. Solenoids have seen 1075-1100 a time or 2, but I know ppl who spray at that consistently.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

Are you saying they have not worked since you got the nano?

Your options are pretty simple. If cost is a factor you could use our Brand X purge solenoid. It is on the lower cost side of things but its actually designed to open under higher bottle pressures compared to other purge solenoids on the market.

Second is our Nitrous Outlet solenoid. They cost alittle more but we use the highest end of everything available. They are also rated and designed for the higher pressures.

Or you could contact Nano and send the system back to have them regulate the system to work at a lower pressure.

Dave
Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

it worked on the nano, up until here recently, when i sprayed with traditional heater, i ran bw 950-1050 as well. im running through my options as what to do, im upgrading ALL my solenoids for big kahuna mamouth ones LOL.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Dont assume that by just going to a big base solenoid they will take the higher pressures as well. Some out there will not even take pressures over 1000 psi.

If you dont mind switching brands shoot me a pm on which solenoids you need and I will make a recomendation.
Dave
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

I would like to hit it with a 175 or more in the future though.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a HSW purge solenoid, it has only been on the car for a little over a month and this past weekend it did the same thing to me. My bottle pressure crept a little over 1000 psi and I noticed my purge was not working. I let the pressure come back down to about 950 and it started working again. I checked all the wiring and relay and it is all good. To mimick the problem I raised the pressure again to about 1050 and once again it would not purge. It is the solenoid not opening and like I said its only a little over a month old.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I also have a HSW purge solenoid, it has only been on the car for a little over a month and this past weekend it did the same thing to me. My bottle pressure crept a little over 1000 psi and I noticed my purge was not working. I let the pressure come back down to about 950 and it started working again. I checked all the wiring and relay and it is all good. To mimick the problem I raised the pressure again to about 1050 and once again it would not purge. It is the solenoid not opening and like I said its only a little over a month old.
a solenoid not opening at 1050 psi is beyond me! company not willing to make it right, makes it worse. They want to charge me 59.99 when a solenoid kit is 54.99 right now.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have some big NOS ones and they open at 1300-1400 psi, anything higher and they won'topen
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
If its under warranty please just send it in with all of your contact info and we'll get you straightened out.

Nick
Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Now wait a minute...I asked you how it was hooked up, I never said that was the problem and I never accused you of installing it improperly. That's the first question I ask everybody to help rule out any wiring issues. I offered for you to send it in for a free inspection and gave you a worst case scenario price. I never said you'll have to buy a new solenoid unless the cost of the parts exceeded the price of a new solenoid which would make sense. You declined to send it in to be tested and I'm sorry but that's the best I can offer for something out of warranty. I will say that going through your old posts I came across a picture of your solenoid mounting arrangement. It appears that you are using zip ties to secure the solenoids to the strut tower brace? stuck solenoid? HSW kit I'm not trying to pick on your or anything like that, but you should really be using the supplied brackets to firmly secure the solenoids into place which could prevent any damage to them.

Nick
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have a strut tower brace anymore. That was on the v6. I had ls1 brackets for it. And are you saying a 15lb zip tie doesn't have the capabilities to hold the peewee solenoids? I think in fact they do. Never had an issue on that end. I never said that I wouldn't send it in. I would like to buy 3 new solenoids I just dot want this issue to occur again.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:46 AM
FormerVendor

I don't have a strut tower brace anymore. That was on the v6. I had ls1 brackets for it. And are you saying a 15lb zip tie doesn't have the capabilities to hold the peewee solenoids? I think in fact they do. Never had an issue on that end. I never said that I wouldn't send it in. I would like to buy 3 new solenoids I just dot want this issue to occur again.
Not a problem. Like I said before, just let me know and we can inspect the solenoids.

No, I don't trust zip ties as a secure mounting method but I'm glad to hear that you've since mounted them more securely.

Nick
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

How long are the HSW warranties?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Do any of you guys who are complaining about your noids going out early have nitrous filters?

-Will