39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide, Nitrous or FI.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help me decide, Nitrous or FI.

Ok guys, I need some help. I'm torn in between a nitrous or FI engine. I've already got a brand new JE -29cc pistons with rings and I bought a set of -8cc Wiseco pistons with brand new rings because I didnt know if I wanted to go with FI or nitrous. The JEs have been balanced with the rotating assembly and if I run the Wiseco's I will have to rebalance it, only $250 so no big deal. I'm building a 408 stroker and everything is forged, machine shop is waiting for me to tell him what final hone to put on the cylinder walls so the rings will seal. The block is an Lq4 iron block, L92 heads and an L76 intake, Morel lifters, Manley SS valves, valve bowls cleaned up a little bit. Havnt bought the cam yet because I dont know exactly how I am going to go. I have about a grand a month I can sink into this little project and have no problem slapping this MS3 cam into it until I get the rest of the FI setup bought and ready to put in, then I will get a blower cam if I decide to go the FI route. got a T-56 and the tranny is being rebuilt. I have bought everything you can buy to beef this tranny up from an online tranny parts store but they are not a sponser so I cant link em, but I got new input shaft, shift fork, billet keys, carbon fiber everything, bearings, the whole nine yards.

Now heres a little about me. This is my fun car, I have 2 other cars I take to work so I'm not real worried about gas mileage, however I do plan on going on the hot rod power tour and taking some trips in the TA and I dont want to be broken down on the side of the road, I want reliability. If I go nitrous, I will be using a 250 shot, but I'm saving the nitrous for the track and I might hit the track 1-2 times a month in the summer seasons, this is not a full out drag car. I'd like to hit 10s in the car and whether I go nitorus or FI I'm sure that will not be a problem

Now I'm afraid of having a car that is just unstreetable and by that classification I mean, hard to drive. I dont want so much horsepower thats its going to just be stupid fast on the street and not be able to hook up when some ***** is sitting next to me at a stop light. Again, I am wanting my car for fun, not for pro stocks or LSX shootouts.

This car is my dream car, always wanted a 98+ TA since I was 13 and here I am almost 28, I'm keeping this car for life. This is the fastest car I've ever owned, even in stock form, I upgraded to the LS6 intake and LS6 heads, couple here and theres but now I'm ready to join the big boys and have a bad *** toy. Please help me in making my decision. Thanks!

Stephen
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didnt read your book lol but read parts if you want a car that doesnt hav to much power on the street but can turn it on at the track then nitrous is wat your lookin for
Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

You really shouldn't ask such a question in a biased forum

-Will
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I asked in both forums and I'm wanting explanations for pros and cons of each of my issues.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Well, if its your fun car and you have the money, go FI. Otherwise, spray tha **** outta it. IF you do go with nitrous, forge the motor so you can do a 300 shot all day...lol
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Motor is already forged.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

then do a 300 shot!!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

How many ******* times do you need to post the same topic?!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Somebody09
How many ******* times do you need to post the same topic?!
I've already responded to your question in another thread. I would think that people would be smart enough to understand the reasoning and logic behind asking the same question in two different forum specific rooms, but then again, there are people like you in this world that never cease to prove the rest of us wrong.

Please keep your ******* remarks to yourself especially if you do not plan to add any input on the previous stated question that I made.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

The way i look at it is what are you wanting to spend.I didnt read your whole post but this is how is see it. If you have a good budget go FI and if your not wanting to break the bank go nitrous. Now you can spend a good bit of cash on nitrous with direct port,standalone yada yada yada but to have a charger or turbo compete with the power that nitrous can dish it your gonna have to open your wallet alot more . Me im a nitrous guy but if i had alot of money to blow i would build a 88mm+turbo setup.Just my $.02
Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go FI....Then maybe later on down the road, add a small shot. You can always do both

A blower cam works very well with nitrous
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

i have always liked turbo's/blowers on the ls1's.
but i cant afford it so i went nitrous
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i like the fact that with nitrous you can run a mild motor setup, run well on the street, and then turn on the nitrous at the track and walk all over people. You don't lose any driveability, you start putting a decent cam and a blower, hope you find a good tuner in your area. And hands down the initial investment on nitrous is much lower. Take the saved money and beef up the rest of your car. Just my opinion though. Good luck
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM

+1 i am leaving nitrous and going all out race but for street driving nitrous is the way to go. tunning is easy and minimal sometimes none
+1 for nitrous
BTW i have a new plate set up cheap PM me
Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

People let themselves get bothered by the dumbest ****.
I would personally go with a High powered NA engine with a 200 shot.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

if I already had the forged motor, and the money to do as I wished I would go FI. Nitrous is good, but you have to worry about keeping the bottle filled, temp. right, and all sorts of things.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nikon1999
i like the fact that with nitrous you can run a mild motor setup, run well on the street, and then turn on the nitrous at the track and walk all over people. You don't lose any driveability, you start putting a decent cam and a blower, hope you find a good tuner in your area. And hands down the initial investment on nitrous is much lower. Take the saved money and beef up the rest of your car. Just my opinion though. Good luck
my thoughts exactly