Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Very dumb question on wiring an amp..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very dumb question on wiring an amp..

I am totally audio illiterate so here is my dumb question..

When wiring the amp, to power it up, I guess its the positive cable? I know I run it through the grommet through the firewall behind the PCM, but where do I run it to? The battery? I heard that could run your battery dead, I also heard the fuse box... but someone also said that is bad...

Also where can I buy some wire for the Sub to Amp? any certain kind?

heres some pics of what I got (bought from a member on here)

the large red wire with the fuse on it goes to battery/fusebox... blue wire goes to HU and to the amp, the red audio cables go from the HU to the amp, and the thick black wire is ground Right?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Launching!

yea u run it directly from the battery to the amp. Just make sure you have a fuse in the fuse holder. And yes the thick black wire is the ground. As for wire for the subs, you can use any audio wire. I would recommend 16gauge or lower. Can get a small spool at any electronics store.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks man!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cnt see any of your pics, but the blue wire is usually the remote turn on. It goes from the head unit to the amp's remote terminal. As long as you are using your HU to turn on the amp, connecting the amp straight to the battery (fused of course) wont drain your battery. That is, unless you are listening to music for a long time with the car off