Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need break down of an automatic in terms of the shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need break down of an automatic in terms of the shifter.

Ok...so far Ive got the shifter and ****. (mentally not physically) **** being attached to the shifter stick, and the shifter being mounted on the floor board of the car. From the shifter theres a cable...the cable goes to a bracket, then to the lever (might be the other way around) which controls what gear the tranny is in. From what Im told, there is a bracket mounted on the trans. pan...Im not sure I understand that because I cant get a visual. Theres also a lever that I cant picture where it goes. Then theres another cable called the park lock cable, which I have no clue whatsoever how that works nor how its all mounted. Does anyone have any pics, layouts from a manual, or any kind of visual breakdown? Nuetral safety switch was also brought to my attention, how about does that work and how is it wired/mounted? Its all the small little gadgets and mechanisms that I dont understand. Can someone please breakdown how everything works, how its wired or mounted, and what all parts make up the shifting in an automatic? Thanks
Old 10-24-2003, 04:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

The best way to swap to an A4 setup is to also switch to an A4 pcm program and wiring harness.

The A4 tranny has a lever mechanism on the side that's correct.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going with a 200-4R, so Im not going to need any of that. What I was wanting to know is what parts make up the shifting in an automatic. In other words, from the time you press the button on the shifter **** till it changes the gear inside the tranny. What are all the parts the play a role in doing so. Thanks