Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

narrowing down cam choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default narrowing down cam choices

hey, guys still new to this platform, i've been on this forum for years checking stuff out. but i just recently acquired a 00 formula. i got it last sunday and i've been buying parts since.

here is my parts list so far
WM 95mm TB
fast 92 IM ported
asp underdrive pulley
pacesetter headers
true duals
diablo sport tuner
mcleod twin disk
stock 243s with dual valve springs

once i sell some more of the parts i have from my saturn, i'll be getting a 9'' rear so i can use the 275/40/17 MT et street radials i have.

this car is not a DD, more of a weekend car/fun car. it will go to the drag strip. all of these parts are going on at the same time with the exception of the clutch which is gonna get done in the next couple days.

now my dilema is that there are so many cam choices. with my old car(saturn) there were 3 choices for cams. street, race and FI. there are hundreds to choose from now. i've been reading through so much of the info on this site i'm starting to get lost in it all. i spend hours reading on here.

here are some cams i like that i want to get some setup-specific opinions on

tsp 233/239
ms3
ms4 (probably too big)
megadeath (probably to big)
trex(i really like this one)

i want a cam that sounds very aggresive at idle, and i'm not worried about losing some low end. cause honestly the tq this thing has feels crazy to the amount my saturn put out, even though the saturn was faster(not for long) so low end torque is still gonna be nuts compared to what i'm used to.

i dont want to get into fly cutting the pistons, but i would still like to mill the heads down a little to bump compression if i can get away with it.

any help/advice/comments welcome
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I will say a F-13 or F-14 would be great
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how can you say the MS4 is too big, but you like the TREX, when it's very comparable. Why not throw the Vindicator, Street Sweeper and Polluter cams into the mix if you're thinking about goin big? With any of the fore mentioned, you will likely want 4.10's out back, just to get it wound up faster.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
how can you say the MS4 is too big, but you like the TREX, when it's very comparable. Why not throw the Vindicator, Street Sweeper and Polluter cams into the mix if you're thinking about goin big? With any of the fore mentioned, you will likely want 4.10's out back, just to get it wound up faster.
i was under the impression the ms4 required flycutting and the trex did not. those are just cams i remembered, i'm really just looking for a nice big cam without flycutting.

i was planning on 3.73 or 4.10s when i got the 9''
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

MS3 looks good to me. so does the Trex
Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

ms4 was designed to run fine on stock heads without flycutting....different heads may require flycutting.

curious...why the hell did you get the hand held programmer?? its gonna be worthless when you put those mods on for anything other than fan/shift/speedo changes.

with a cam the only way to go is dyno or street tune.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Vengeance Racing VRX5 / VRX6 are comparable, the 6 being closer to your earlier mentioned cams.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MS3 has my vote.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

the t-rex is not a very streetable cam but it is ok, the piston to valve clearance even on stock heads is minimal, real minimal...the ms4 actually has more clearance than the t rex, i have an ms4 on 110 lsa and a trex on 110 lsa, the t rex is in my 98 and the ms4 is sitting in my garage because im wanting to get a ms4 withmore like a 112 or 113 lsa, if your going to drive it on the street on weekends and cruises then go with a 112 ms4....the t rex is not very street friendly but it will not mess around at the track...the 98 was untuned and had some problems and we took it to the track and pulled a 1.7 60 ft. leaving off idle and shutting down right after...you will have plenty of torque with that cam if it wouldve left on the converter on the slicks it woulda been 1.5 easy...if you decide to go with an m4...i got one ill sell you for 250. they are 400 new. let me know