Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Spark Plug Gap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Spark Plug Gap?

Ok guys so there is no threads or sites that i found that clearify what the gaps should be. I changed my plugs from NGK 55's to NGK TR6's. I can't find what the correct gaping should be. The 55's were gaped at .060 and the TR6's were gaped for .035? What the hell is the differences?

When i put the TR6's in i gaped them at .060, cause thats what GM said to do. Should i go back and re gap them to like a .040? I plan to spray 100 shot hopefully in the near future. and don't want to screw the plugs up on the first run.

Thanks guys
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
Ok guys so there is no threads or sites that i found that clearify what the gaps should be. I changed my plugs from NGK 55's to NGK TR6's. I can't find what the correct gaping should be. The 55's were gaped at .060 and the TR6's were gaped for .035? What the hell is the differences?

When i put the TR6's in i gaped them at .060, cause thats what GM said to do. Should i go back and re gap them to like a .040? I plan to spray 100 shot hopefully in the near future. and don't want to screw the plugs up on the first run.

Thanks guys
I'd gap them at newhere between 33-35....no more than 35

-Chris
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys
You will experience extreme popping and banging on a TR6 gapped that wide. It sounds cool but not healthy. Neither is a TR6 plug for nitrous. Please find you a non-projected tip and not listen to what everyone else is doing and saying that a TR6 is fine. If I told you it was safe to jump off a cliff, would you do it? Be different and actually smart if you want your car to live for a long time while being a hobbyist nitrous user.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
I'd gap them at newhere between 33-35....no more than 35

-Chris
You guys are supposed to be technical and knowledgeable. Why do you even suggest a projected tip plug knowing its not right for the application and what nitrous does on a plug inside the chamber with a projected porcelain tip?

Anyone ever spray hairspray on a lit lighter? Its what you are doing when that TR6 gets hot enough and acts as a glow plug.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Launching!

So what would u GUYS suggest as a plug then?

Last edited by GOR1LA; 04-08-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what would u GUYS suggest as a plug then?
There's plenty of knowledge on this already. Search through some of my posts, Shiznityz28, etc and go consult your engine builder you trust. A sponsor that posted in this thread is not who I'd listen to. They are there to push parts and make dollars. He'll give you a plug to run. 90% of the information on the internet is false. But if you dont educate yourself on your application, you'll never know what is true and safe or false and bad. You've got to seek out that 10% of knowledge you are looking for.

My best advice for you, is to read up on how to choose the heat range and spark plug type for your application. There actually is a lot of good info on that you can search out on the net. Learn how to read your spark plugs man. Its good knowledge.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
There's plenty of knowledge on this already. Search through some of my posts, Shiznityz28, etc and go consult your engine builder you trust. A sponsor that posted in this thread is not who I'd listen to. They are there to push parts and make dollars. He'll give you a plug to run. 90% of the information on the internet is false. But if you dont educate yourself on your application, you'll never know what is true and safe or false and bad. You've got to seek out that 10% of knowledge you are looking for.

My best advice for you, is to read up on how to choose the heat range and spark plug type for your application. There actually is a lot of good info on that you can search out on the net. Learn how to read your spark plugs man. Its good knowledge.
V6 Bird. Not sure why you seem to have a problem with my technical staff. If you have an issue you would like to discuss with me directly please give me a call 254-848-4300. I will be happy to address the issue.

If you think that we are making money my answering questions for free here on the board to help people you are very mistaken. It actually cost the company money to offer this service.

In this post this guy simply asked what to have the gap at on his TR6 plug he already has. With that being said there is no sale to be made here. Chris simply answered his question to help out.

I would assume if he is running a TR6 plug it is for a 150 HP shot or under. For well over 10 pluss years we have used the TR6 for the average street car with great results. The key is in the tune up. Is it the best plug available? NO The best plug for this application would actually be a BR7EF. The BR7EF is a non projected tip and alittle colder than the TR6. However the TR6 is the most used plug due to better drivability.

Back in the day the TR6 was all that was available with out going to an all out race plug. Keep in mind its for a street car. You will see some people complain about the idle and how the car responded to the TR6 much less the BR7EF. Personally when we tune we can make the car run great on either plug but in most cercumstances these guys are just switching plugs and not paying someone to adjust the tune to go with it.

We have tuned way more cars than I can think of with a TR6 plug. We have never even hurt anyones car and we would not have the reputation we do if we did not know what we are doing. So please do not make a statement that we have no idea what we are doing. Our history and reputation clearly show otherwise.

To sum this up.

1. We are simply posting when we have time to help people to insure they get the best correct answer available. We do not charge for our advice. Its a free service.

2. We agree TR6 is not the best plug available, But it will work just fine for the average street car when tuned properly.

3. Our many years of experience and our great reputation clearly show WE DO KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

4. Please call me directly if there is an issue that needs to be handled I am not aware of. 254-848-4300

OHH And we have been giving technical advice as a paying sponsor for free just to help people have a safe experience here on LS1 tech since 2001..

Thank you
Dave
Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got no problem with your "technical" advise because I'm smart enough and knowledgeable enough to know better. FWIW, driveability is not in the spark plug but you're a smart feller so I'm sure you knew that already. What I would like to see is a company that does post up good technical advise on what exactly should be used not just something that is good enough. Its really pretty simple...projected tips and nitrous don't mix. I did suggest to him via PM a BR7EFS plug. A nitrous tune up for a car to make best possible power and safely consists, of a spark plug with correct heat range and non projected tip, gap, timing, and fueling per individual cylinder. Sure people have been using TR6's for years. But the point is its not the best option out there and definitely not the safest. We've had other options before this series of engines was even introduced to the world. It was just a matter of digging into the spark plug catalogs and finding things that would fit and pertrude into the chamber exactly how we need it to.

If I saw a representative give that technical of advice, being on here would pay for itself regardless if you are offering it as "free" advice on a messageboard with the ending of "tech" in the name. Customer service in that matter would increase sales tenfold and pay for itself. $10/hr for a rep though probably wont know that kind of technical advice to give. That comes with experience and no one wants to accept $10/hr if they've got the experience to be paid more. Have a good day fellow Texan.

Last edited by V6 Bird; 04-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Thats fair, Everyone is intitled to there own opinion. Re read my post as far as the drivability. I aggree that it is in the tune. Like I said. Not everyone is going to adjust the tune to drive better on the colder plug.

I shot you a pm so maybe you can tell me what else is bugging you to intise you to lash out at someone simply telling a guy what to gap the plugs he already has at.

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

NGK BR7EF u can special order them at orielys dont look any further for a better blug
Old 04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

orielys stock number 3346
Old 04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would anyone disagree that these are the kinds of posts that need to stay? I hate seeing a message board with knowledgeable individuals such as myself and Nitro Dave's to see mediocre advise given. Im pretty sure we are all here to find the best possible advice there is. Hency why I questioned the technical advice with all parties knowing their is much better options available for safety.

As far as driveabilty, these cars arent cadillacs and you have got to give up a little idle quality to an extent to have a more reliable nitrous setup. Nitrous already has a bad rep of blowing up motors when the real truth to a smart person is that the tune up was bad.

A good tuneup consists of: correct heat range plug and non-projected tip, fueling, timing, and plug gap. Why not have the best possible advise given so we can have people spraying their cars for many years to come not for only a few months because they used too hot of a plug and made 5 back to back highway bombs on spray and took out a piston from excessive heat and improper plug heat range. Spark plugs are not to provide extra heat but to extract it. Thats how you chose heat range based on the threads of the plug body.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Would anyone disagree that these are the kinds of posts that need to stay? I hate seeing a message board with knowledgeable individuals such as myself and Nitro Dave's to see mediocre advise given. Im pretty sure we are all here to find the best possible advice there is. Hency why I questioned the technical advice with all parties knowing their is much better options available for safety.

As far as driveabilty, these cars arent cadillacs and you have got to give up a little idle quality to an extent to have a more reliable nitrous setup. Nitrous already has a bad rep of blowing up motors when the real truth to a smart person is that the tune up was bad.

A good tuneup consists of: correct heat range plug and non-projected tip, fueling, timing, and plug gap. Why not have the best possible advise given so we can have people spraying their cars for many years to come not for only a few months because they used too hot of a plug and made 5 back to back highway bombs on spray and took out a piston from excessive heat and improper plug heat range. Spark plugs are not to provide extra heat but to extract it. Thats how you chose heat range based on the threads of the plug body.
I completely aggree that this section was created for technical advice. I see no reason to remove the thread. You and I are in aggreance to everything from the technical standpoint. I just feel it could have been handled in a less personal method. Simply stating you feel that Chris should have taken oportuninty to do more than answer the guys question and suggest a better plug would have been a better way to handle it.

We are all here for our love for the sport.Lets keep it fun and educational

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Launching!

hey sorry guys for asking a newb question, i'm just starting to get in the nitrous and mod stuff, I just wanted to be sure and safe. I know that this is a great place to find and ask for help.

Thanks to both of you guys, you helped me out a lot.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

hey sorry guys for asking a newb question, i'm just starting to get in the nitrous and mod stuff, I just wanted to be sure and safe. I know that this is a great place to find and ask for help.

Thanks to both of you guys, you helped me out a lot.
We have part numbers for heat range 6/7 non-projected tip plugs or anything else you may need. Shoot me a pm if you want some help.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

tr6's are the way to go dnt look any further. finde them cheap at nitrousoutlet.com
Old 04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98transamtx
tr6's are the way to go dnt look any further. finde them cheap at nitrousoutlet.com
terrible advice. Quit post whoring too.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
8 second mod

keep it clean boys.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you are but what am I? LOL What's new Brad?

I can't agree more with V6 BIRD, 90% of the stuff you read on the net is false information. Be VERY careful who you take advice from, especially on here LOL.

Gor1la, in case you didn't know the tip of the non projected tip is recessed down into the plug so that it's not sticking out in the combustion chamber so much witch will keep it further away from the heat. When I first started getting into nitrous a guy was educating me on these plugs and basically summed it up like this, "If you stick your arm into the fire you are gonna get burned" The same principle applies to your spark plugs while you are spraying nitrous.
If I were you I would make sure that you have an adequate fuel system before you spray it, for a 100-150 shot a Walbro 255 will be fine. If it is a dry shot you will need to upgrade your injectors to a larger size. The size of the injectors will depend on what is already done to your car had what duty cycle your current injectors are at.
There are a few safety items you may want to pick up before you start spraying, a fuel pressure safety switch is a good investment just in case your pump decides to **** out on you. Another item that is good to have is a window switch, even though you have an auto it is really easy to either spray too early or if you manually shift it you could bump the rev limiter. Either one of those things could do some serious damage to your engine.

IMO By far the most important thing is to have a GOOD tuner help you get it dialed in, when you do get it tuned don't just go off of a wide band, check the plugs. Google "Plug reading" and I'm sure you can find some good info on what to look for.

Hopefully this will help you know a little more about what to do/get/expect..... Nitrous is some awesome **** when it's right but when not setup properly it can **** some **** up in a hurry!