General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise from brakes (not even when applying brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise from brakes (not even when applying brakes)

So, awhile back i had horrible brake noise from the front. So i took it to a local auto parts store and they replaced both the rotors and the pads. This was probably i would say almost a year ago. Recently, i have had horrible brake noise coming from especially the front left. It's not even really a squeal, as more of just an annoying *** noise. It occurs while braking, but i can still easily hear it when i'm not even applying the brakes. When i turn to the right, the sound gets 3x as bad. So, i replaced just the brake pads and the sound was completely gone, and stayed this way for about a week.

NOW, that sound is BACK and just as bad as ever. I tell you, just when i think i'm figuring all these weird sounds i get from these cars, they come right back. ****
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

So its not a squeak? Can you feel a vibration in the front?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try spinning the wheel hub with the tire off? Try to jack it up and spin it with the tire on. Also grab the tire in the 12 and 6 oclock position and try to move the wheel, then try the 3 and 9 position. Might have a bad wheel bearing, or your brake caliper is sticking.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, bad wheel bearing/hub.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

I will try this tomorrow. It's just weird how when i replaced the pads, the sound was completely gone for about a week, then it's back to the same sound again.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Alright here's a little update....

First things first, my mirror. Looks like the "Green" cable came disconnected. What is my best option here?

Second thing. I jacked the car up and put my hands on 12 and 6, there is no sound i can hear. I put them at 3 and 9, and pull back and forth and there is a little clunk, but it does this on both sides about the same way. So i take the wheel off and there is definitely contact coming between the pads and the rotor, even with no pressure on the brake. If i try and spin it, it comes to a halt extremely quickly......(Vid Below)...

second problem, my air FUSE blows every time i put a new one in, but i checked all the wires, and as far as i can tell, everything looks fine...

below are some pics/vid, maybe there is something obvious i'm missing but i'm sure you really can't see **** in these

And the video...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Would like to get some sort of input before i put it all back together and go home..yadayadayaaa
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 323 Likes on 296 Posts

Clunk = bad. Probably time for new bearings. They usually go out together. When mine died, only one squeaked - but they both were bad.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Would that affect the brake dragging though?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
yes, mine did the same thing, changed the wheel bearing thing and fixed it all up, if you want further insight, pull the rotor off and just spin the hub and see if it makes a noise, mine sounded like marbles in a can when i took the rotor and caliper off and spun it
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

I may be a little retarded, but i don't even really know what i'm looking for when it comes to the wheel bearing. It's so hard to really tell for me because it seems like it makes the same sounds on both sides, so i really don't know if i'm eliminating anything or not.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
Did you try spinning the wheel hub with the tire off? Try to jack it up and spin it with the tire on. Also grab the tire in the 12 and 6 oclock position and try to move the wheel, then try the 3 and 9 position. Might have a bad wheel bearing, or your brake caliper is sticking.
What would one do if the brake caliper were sticking? The reason I ask is because I put on slotted and drilled rotors and now I get this "salt and pepper shaking sound" while driving, not sure if the calipers are sticking or not but I will check this this weekend. The car brakes fine but i was just thinking that maybe the calipers were sticking this whole time...and dragging on the rotors to make this constant sound..how do you fix that(calipers sticking)? thanks~Chris
Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 323 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Its probably not dragging. If it was, you should be able tell when you are driving. You could have a slightly warped rotor, which probalby isn't a big deal.

The friction of the rotor moving and air rushing between the pad and rotor is what helps open the caliper up after you let off the brake. When you last pressed your brake, it clamped down - but you need to get driving before it really opens up again for you. No big deal.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Did you guys watch that video? is that normal?

also, i may add, it doesn't make these sounds all the time....it seems like it only does it when it wants to.

also, any input on the mirror situation?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by clg82
What would one do if the brake caliper were sticking? The reason I ask is because I put on slotted and drilled rotors and now I get this "salt and pepper shaking sound" while driving, not sure if the calipers are sticking or not but I will check this this weekend. The car brakes fine but i was just thinking that maybe the calipers were sticking this whole time...and dragging on the rotors to make this constant sound..how do you fix that(calipers sticking)? thanks~Chris
Anyone with help with my problem.....?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by clg82
Anyone with help with my problem.....?
sounds like normal rub on the rotor, if you don't like the sound get normal rotors.

the video i watched just sounds like the rotor is turning with the brake pads touching it. you guys need to realize that the pad is always touching the rotor and will make a noise like that. the pad is just a floating piece compressed by the caliper onto the rotor, when you press the brake the caliper pushes and stops the car. not rocket science

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I may be a little retarded, but i don't even really know what i'm looking for when it comes to the wheel bearing. It's so hard to really tell for me because it seems like it makes the same sounds on both sides, so i really don't know if i'm eliminating anything or not.
the hub is what you will see when you pull the rotor/caliper off the car, it will be a little unit held on by 4 bolts and has the bearing in it that turns the disc with the wheel bolts. it will cost about 140ish to replace
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Did you guys watch that video? is that normal?

also, i may add, it doesn't make these sounds all the time....it seems like it only does it when it wants to.

also, any input on the mirror situation?
How does it compare to the passenger side? It moves easier than mine does, that's for sure.

What does it do with the rotor taken off, how well does it spin?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

you might have to replace that whole thing!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Well it doesn't make any sound today, so i'm in no hurry to spend 140$ right now. F that.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Launching!

here is the wheel hub/bearing