Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why change the dipstick and tube?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why change the dipstick and tube?

I change the oil pan on my 6.0 truck to a camaro oil pan for the increased ground clearance.
I've noticed that most people who do this also replace the dipstick and tube. Why? I realize this pan is shallower. But the dip stick still goes all the way in. I'm assuming when I fill it with oil it will show that it's over full. Is that the only problem?
If so, I think I'll fill it, check the oil and engrave the dipstick with a new "full" line
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chadroc
I change the oil pan on my 6.0 truck to a camaro oil pan for the increased ground clearance.
I've noticed that most people who do this also replace the dipstick and tube. Why? I realize this pan is shallower. But the dip stick still goes all the way in. I'm assuming when I fill it with oil it will show that it's over full. Is that the only problem?
If so, I think I'll fill it, check the oil and engrave the dipstick with a new "full" line
that is the reason. Filling to truck specs would be WAAAY too full on a camaro pan.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
that is the reason. Filling to truck specs would be WAAAY too full on a camaro pan.
I know it's a 5.5 quart pan. I think I'll just put that Much in the motor and mark the new "full" location. Then go spend the money I saved on something else
Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there is any difference except how it is bent and mounted. It does not make sense that it would be any higher or lower because of the pan. It would still be below the windage tray. If so my Camaro dipstick would not read right with my new LH pan.

Quick Reply: Why change the dipstick and tube?