Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 4wd S10 LSx swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about 4wd S10 LSx swap.

Ok. I did some searching but the couple threads I found kind of went into different directions than what I'm looking for. I'm looking at budget build here with maybe a 212/218 cam or something of the sort for lowend torque.

What all is exactly needed for LSx swap (4.8/5.3) into a say a 4wd S10/Blazer as pictured below? I want automatic transmission as well.

I know these came with the 4l60e so that should bolt up with maybe a bellhousing swap?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Most of what I can find on google is for 2wd swaps.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah. The reference picture. lol

Attached Thumbnails Question about 4wd S10 LSx swap.-2-door-blazer.jpg  
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it depends on what you are doing to the truck in the end. I kept my front end as is in my '89 did a 3" body lift and raised the motor/tranny 2" to utilize the stock truck pan. Bolted it up to my 700r4 and just made a custom steering linkage to go around the factory manis.

Not sure how big your "budget" is, but I did mine for less than 1K. I made my own mounts and did my own exhaust so i cut down on some of the larger expenditures.

My best suggestion would be to go to s10forum dot com and check out the LSx page.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'm reading there.

This will be a hunting camp truck. I really want the v8 for the sound. I can't stand how the stock 4.3L sounds lol. The power is nice but really those aren't really that heavy and the 4.3L has plenty of power and gear to move it around.

It all depens really when I think about it. I just found pics of a guy with a single cab 2wd that did an LSx w/ t56 swap and man that thing looks fun to drive! lol
Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

sytyperformance.com makes a pan that will work for you
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't want to be a jerk, but if your doing a swap just fro the V8 sound, you are wasting your money big time. Especially if you say your happy with the power the 4.3 makes.

Just my 2 cents.

Re'
Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

I guess it depends upon exactly what you want to accomplish.

A Vortec v8 swap (non LSx motor) is typically the cheapest way to accomplish the swap and retain fuel injection. A classic SBC swap is also pretty low dollar.

Most LSx swaps start getting more expensive. You typically need a custom pan, harness, exhaust, and the front accessories need to be completely different. Most of that will either involve you doing the fabrication or your checkbook doing the work, and sadly, the parts aren't all that cheap.

Try to establish what you want the truck to do, and then decide if its worth it or not. You might be better off financially buying a truck that already has a v8 in it (like a fullsize / blazer / tahoe / yukon). Probably cost you less than an engine swap.

Just my $.02

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-13-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I don't want to be a jerk, but if your doing a swap just fro the V8 sound, you are wasting your money big time. Especially if you say your happy with the power the 4.3 makes.

Just my 2 cents.

Re'
It's also cool. What other reason do you need?

Originally Posted by 'JustDreamin'
I guess it depends upon exactly what you want to accomplish.

A Vortec v8 swap (non LSx motor) is typically the cheapest way to accomplish the swap and retain fuel injection. A classic SBC swap is also pretty low dollar.

Most LSx swaps start getting more expensive. You typically need a custom pan, harness, exhaust, and the front accessories need to be completely different. Most of that will either involve you doing the fabrication or your checkbook doing the work, and sadly, the parts aren't all that cheap.

Try to establish what you want the truck to do, and then decide if its worth it or not. You might be better off financially buying a truck that already has a v8 in it (like a fullsize / blazer / tahoe / yukon). Probably cost you less than an engine swap.

Just my $.02

'JustDreamin'
Yeah I know. Just just really prefer the s10 body style over the full-size. I always have when it comes to off-roading.

I also just found some info on the vortec 5.7 swap and that seem to be the way to go. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

vortec 5.7 is definately an easier/better choice. there is a pile of aftermarket support for that swap

Quick Reply: Question about 4wd S10 LSx swap.