Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of first gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping out of first gear

Ive been having issues with first gear popping out randomly as I let the clutch out. It has never popped out of first gear while the car is moving, but only when letting the clutch out. It seems I can control it if I just let the clutch out slow and dont give it too much gas. Also it seems not to pop out if I shift through the gears and then go from second to first firmly to make sure the shifter is all the way in there. When it does pop out it scares the **** out of me. Its really violent sometimes. I had my rear end rebuilt last week and the guy runs a dyno shop that specifically works on fbodies. He said just by hearing it that it was the syncronizors and I need a rebuild. Chances are this is most likely the case, but I am wondering if it could be my clutch or pressure plate or the shifter itself. It is the stock shifter. Is there anything I could do by taking off the console and checking to make sure all the bolts and whatnot are tight. Ive heard people saying their shifter is just not getting the car all the way into gear and that could cause the problem. Otherwise the car shifts fine with the exception of a grind into third here and there when its cold. Even at WOT the tranny shifts into all the gears fine with no grinding.

I also replaced the master cylinder a few months back because I couldnt get into second at WOT. Ever since then the car seemed to shift fine, but recently first gear is being a pain. Just looking for some ideas before I start searching for a new tranny. Simply cant afford a rebuild so I will have to opt for a replacement.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmartin8
.. or the shifter itself. It is the stock shifter. Is there anything I could do by taking off the console and checking to make sure all the bolts and whatnot are tight.
A quick check would be to pull the console and shifter off, and check the rivets. (after unbolting the shifter from the trans, they are visible under the shifter) If they have alot of play in them (and alot of stock shifters do), you can delay a replacement by staking them down with a chisel, on a hard surface.

When you take the shifter off, inspect the shifter cup inside the trans also. It's a plastic insert, and prone to crack/wear.

If these easy checks don't prove fruitful, we can move on to the harder stuff...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 85MikeTPI, check what is listed above and if they are ok, I definately say it would be your 1-2 syncro. Ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Popping out of first gear