General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horn wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn wiring

Well i am a proud new owner of a 95 z28 and i am currently putting the interior back together because the previous owner was going to change it from tan interior to black. Well for some reason the drivers airbag was taken off and only the red wires were taken out of the horn switch, i was wondering how the setup goes and where everything goes. pictures would be the best on how everything goes because i do think that i am missing some parts. thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is what it looks like right now.

i am assuming that the spring part of the red wire goes in there since i put it there and horn went off.

car was attempted to be stolen at one point...not sure if it affects it at all.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

You are right about the place where the red wires go. There are black "pins" on the sleeve behind the spring that grip in to the socket inside the hole. The problem is that the plastic on the socket has broken. (This is a common issue I've had on GM columns when one pulls too hard on the wires instead of turning the sleeve to disengage the socket.)

The fix is to pull the steering wheel and replace the turn signal cam. (The socket is built in to this part.) You just need special tools to pull the wheel and undo the lock plates underneath. The cam itself is a couple of bucks at any autoparts store - usually in the Help! section.