Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Congrats to Derty & Harlan on NHRA certification

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Congrats to Derty & Harlan on NHRA certification

Despite Harlans ability to do a burnout, or to push the throttle all the way to the floor That was nothing a backpack under his *** didn't cure

Easy 9 second runs. Now both are legal for 9 sec runs. Good job.. Just in time for Thunder.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
Despite Harlans ability to do a burnout, or to push the throttle all the way to the floor That was nothing a backpack under his *** didn't cure

Easy 9 second runs. Now both are legal for 9 sec runs. Good job.. Just in time for Thunder.
Congrats! BTW where was Harlans car? I drove from Chicago with a few friends to watch. Had a good time.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:59 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harlan did have a hard time with my car. For his 1/8th mile pass the car returned with a full tank of gas in the fuel cell and the bottle pressure was pretty good, lol. Apparently he couldn't push the gas pedal all the way down (too short) and the WOT switch didn't close. He also did a third gear burnout but didn't keep it above stall speed and the wheels grabbed and stopped spinning despite applying power, kinda freaky to see. Anyway, all of our runs are up on my website: Harlan and Derty's NHRA license passes

The only two things different about the car were drag slicks instead of QTP's, a full tank of race gas and the 10 point cage. Everything else, including the 200 shot was pretty much the same.

Harlan's car was not done in time so I offered up the use of my car (I know, what was I thinking). So in one day I managed to get Harlan his first 9 second pass, his first nitrous pass and his first use of an automatic. Not bad for his first time. He did mention that my car leaves the line harder than his does. He cut some low 1.4 60's and I managed a 1.39 60' the rest were low 1.4's as well.

Oh yeah, Taner, watch that first step. It looks a bit sticky. The track was only sprayed for the 1/8th early in the day and it wasn't touched again. Obviously it was still sticky outside of the groove but it was pretty wiggly up top. They spent a few hours drying it until we could start with our 1/4 mile passes.

Last edited by DERTY; 10-27-2003 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

HAHA! Too short! Hope he doesn't have that problem with power at the shootout Congrats guys
Old 10-27-2003, 07:41 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats guys.

Looking forward to see ya'll run at the Shootout.

Coach
Old 10-27-2003, 10:17 AM
8 Second Club

Haha, Derty on your 1/8 hit it sounds like the announcer says you have a LT1 !
Old 10-27-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A HUGE THANKS TO DERTY!!!!

My car wasn't gonna make it in time for passes and Steve was nice enough to lend me the keys. Now that's how a fellow racer should be.

And yes, I'm too short for his car. Hell, i'm just about 6 foot tall and i still couldn't reach

A backpack full of clothes solved my problems and away we went.

All in all, not too bad for my first time driving someone else's car. An auto, nitrous car at that. And it has been confirmed that i can stall anything, including an auto

But I will say, I'm looking forward to those T-brake launches off boost

Thanks again Steve, First few rounds are on me at the shootout
Old 10-27-2003, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Tell me we aren't going to have to be NHRA Certified to run 9's at the Thunder Shootout? If so, I'm screwed.

I will have a 10pt in the car in time, but certification is another story.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
Tell me we aren't going to have to be NHRA Certified to run 9's at the Thunder Shootout? If so, I'm screwed.

I will have a 10pt in the car in time, but certification is another story.

THE FOLLOWING GENERAL RULES FOR THE THUNDER RACING SOUTHERN SHOOTOUT APPLY TO ALL RACERS:

Final rules update was June 27th, 2003

(1) All NHRA Safety Rules for your ET and speed will be enforced.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Well...guess we won't be there then.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Rob, If you get your physical and chassis certified. You should be able to make your license passes friday night or sat during practice. Once you make the passes you should be allowed to race on sunday. If you go to www.nhra.com you will find the 2 forms to fill out and bring with you.

I'd hate to see you guys not come!

btw.. Congrats to Steve and Matt!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:06 PM
7 Second Club

Congrats guys!
I'm already sick of short-shifting my Nova to not get the boot, need a bar already!

Derek
Old 10-27-2003, 09:24 PM
The Bull

Rob,

Get your physical and the chassis cert. Pack the car up and make it to the track on Friday. Harlan already got confirmation from the track that you can make your qualifying passes down there and you'll be good to go. If you need a contact for a chassis cert let me know and I can send you the info to the guy Harlan and I went to. Make sure you get the forms so that you can at least get your physical form filled out. After that it's pretty easy. Please make an attempt if you can. Harlan and I busted *** to do it for that very reason and for our safety. It would be cool to see you make it out.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, I'm not going to drive 1600 miles with the possibility that I may not be able to get certified. What if it rains Friday? What if my car won't run a 9 on the certification passes that day?

Too many maybe's for me. Guess we'll see you guys next year. Not blaming anyone, it's just that this is the first time I've seen that rule kept strict in an F-Body Event. Guess I should have read the rules closer back in June, huh?

Also, I could have swore that they were allowing "W" tires! Now I see that they aren't. Which means I'd also need to re-tune my suspension, order a new set of $400 slicks, and hope for the best.

Ce la vie.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

rob you can get the cert done start calling now but its going to cost ya and you will have to bring the car mostlikly to the inspectoors house with such short notice

george
Old 10-31-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

He dont wanna run. Let him stay home.. Maybe we'll see ya next year.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Oh no...that's not the case. We WANT to race. I've planned on it for the last several months. I just made the mistake of not reading the specific rules until last week when I saw this post.

Keep in mind, I've participated in the last 3 F-Body events...and NEVER have they required an NHRA license, or Chassis certification at ANY of those. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have enforced those rules, just that they didn't.

I'm not against them enforcing it, and I'm all for safety, I just slept on getting my car done.

Trust me, I've got something for everyone.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:54 AM
The Bull

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
Oh no...that's not the case. We WANT to race. I've planned on it for the last several months. I just made the mistake of not reading the specific rules until last week when I saw this post.

Keep in mind, I've participated in the last 3 F-Body events...and NEVER have they required an NHRA license, or Chassis certification at ANY of those. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have enforced those rules, just that they didn't.

I'm not against them enforcing it, and I'm all for safety, I just slept on getting my car done.

Trust me, I've got something for everyone.
I still think that you should bring it down and shoot for some license passes. You can get the cert and a physical still if your cage is done. If it's not then I understand the pain that you would have to go through this late in the year to get it done. Hell, mine is going down unpainted simply because I don't have the time to do it.

And Harold, you're the one to talk. Are you bringing your 9 second non certified car down. Or am I making you hold the camera again?
Old 10-31-2003, 11:36 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

congrats Steve/ Harlan! next time i change jets on a fogger it'll be on my car and we'll start with a 350 hit! with full cage, going for license passes
Old 11-01-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

LOL, I was waiting for a smart *** remark from you Steve. Yes, my potential 9 second non certified car WILL be going to thunder. Thank you very much. After I get the car dialed in, I'll take on you and Harlan. How you like them apples...